I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Making a Mandrel
Posted by: Jon Meyers (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: February 07, 2016 02:39PM

Hey all,

Want to start turning some EVA I have to make some handles. I went to the hardware store to find some steel rod to make a few different size mandrels out of but found they didn't have the correct sizes I need. Anyone have any tips on making a decent mandrel? Is steel rod the way to go? I'm guessing the larger hardware stores would care what I need (menards, HD)?

Thanks,
Jon

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Making a Mandrel
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 07, 2016 02:46PM

Best to use hardened steel, not usually available at hard ware stores. There a number suppliers to the left that have the mandrels in various sizes.

Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: February 07, 2016 05:59PM

A member has a set for sale in buy/sell [rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 07, 2016 06:33PM

Jon,
You can do an internet search for drill rod. Drill rod is dead straight and it is also hardened.

[www.fastenal.com]

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 07, 2016 06:40PM

Jon,
If you are making a larger mandrel, you can use hardware store threaded rod. It is not as hard, but if the rod is in a larger size, will give enough stiffness to do a good job for turning.

Be safe

Posted by: Dan Ertz (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: February 08, 2016 08:56AM

As suggested, hardened mandrels are the best solution especially if you're going to be doing a lot of handles or a very special custom patterned grip.

Otherwise, EVA is very easily shaped and "improvised" mandrels work fine. I have even used a piece of 5/32 steel tubing salvaged out of an old plastic/silk flower stem to shape some small hole diameter ice rod grips- it ran dead true and worked great. A drill bit with a little masking tape wrapped around it could also work. If you can't find the exact size mandrels that you want, you can wrap masking tape around a smaller size one to fit just snug enough in the EVA's hole that it doesn't slip while turning and then make sure that it runs true before shaping the EVA..

Posted by: James Newsome (---.244.204.207.client.dyn.strong-sf33.as22781.net)
Date: February 08, 2016 09:01AM

You might come out better just buying a ready made one or even a whole set for later use. Several sponsors carry them. I know Mudhole has them.

Posted by: Lynn Williams (---.mi.res.rr.com)
Date: February 08, 2016 12:42PM

Hello Jon,

I've made a few mandrels, if you have any question or I can help in any way let me know.

wcrods@roadrunner.com

Lynn Williams

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster