I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fly Guides - snake or single foot
Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: February 06, 2016 08:13PM

Debating the benefits of each on some new fly rods. Do you guys have a preference - anything from 3 wt. to 10 wt. I feel like the single foots shoot line a little nicer, but have not fished snake guides in a long time.

Thanks - Marc

Keep it simple - that's all I can handle!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fly Guides - snake or single foot
Posted by: Rich Gorden (---.gnv.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 06, 2016 08:39PM

I have a Loomis 7 wt. with 2 tips. I put snake guides on one and single foot guides on the other. I really can't tell the difference when casting.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 06, 2016 09:49PM

Try the snakes and see how you like them -- it is all you can do You will get many conflicting on what is better

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Capt. Michael Harmon (107.77.70.---)
Date: February 06, 2016 10:19PM

X2 what Bill recommended. Do what works for you. Good luck. MH

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 06, 2016 11:49PM

A lot of posts here that the Snakes cast better -- I like the single foot cause there is only one guide wrap and I find them casting very nicely

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Wyatt Rutherford (---.biz.bhn.net)
Date: February 08, 2016 04:43PM

I built a 9ft 8wt with single wire guides, 8 running wire guides and 2 stripper guides. Not including ferrule wraps and tip top that is at least 10 wraps. If I went with snakes that'd be 20 wraps just for the guides alone. I'm casting well withing the length of my fly line so I'm not worried about knots passing through the single wire guides, although I believe that snakes pass knots smoother.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: February 09, 2016 05:10PM

A couple of competent casting lessons will make a lot bigger difference in how your rod casts than whether you used snake or single foot guides. If you belong to a fly-fishing club you can probably get these lessons at no charge.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster