I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

How to make a exposed reel seat
Posted by: Glenn McMurrian (---.bvtn.or.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 06, 2016 03:42PM

Ever see those exposed double reel seats with this blank exposed so you can wrap your fingers around the blank. To make one of these yourself with a standard triger seat ior exposed one just take your real seat and cut through it as close to the triger as you can. Next do the same thing at the front of the hood just leave about 1/4 of it in front of the hood so that reel foot of you reel can rest on it and there you go.

Glenn McMurrian

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How to make a exposed reel seat
Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.102.204.190.res-cmts.t132.ptd.net)
Date: February 06, 2016 09:36PM

Glenn, not to go off topic, but how's that telescopic flippin' stick coming along?

Date: February 06, 2016 09:48PM

Have not got to it yet because my brother used the one and only Rod tubing that I had to extend his own Rod the little sh_t but all I need to do is find a new extension that will fit over the end on the flipping stick or maybe I fill just cut down a old blank but as of today it is on hold for a bit.

Will post on YouTube and right here when done.

Glenn McMurrian

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2016 01:53AM by Glenn McMurrian.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: February 06, 2016 11:01PM

Glenn, I understand the benefit of doing that kind of modification to a non blank exposed reel seat, after all, it would allow a person to locate an exposed blank reel seat anywhere on the blank without worrying if it was going to fit, or not,

With that said, since some sort of arbor (foam. masking tap, or otherwise) is needed to fit a non exposed blank reel seat to the blank, the type of modification you outlined is going to result in a gap between the reel seat, and the blank.

Depending on the reel seat and blank being used, the gap could be pretty substantial as far as gaps go. Wouldn't just ordering a slightly smaller exposed blank reel seat and reaming it to fit if needed, be much less worrisome? While not as custom, it would probably be a much cleaner look.

Just my 2 cents

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2016 11:02PM by David Baylor.

Posted by: Michael Maclean (---.knology.net)
Date: February 07, 2016 12:13AM

David, I've seen people leave a hill of epoxy going to the reel seat and then just wrapping on top of it with a black thread so it's hard to see if you need to wrap on top of a couple threads in an odd way. Then applying thread finish on top of that like normal. This will leave no gap, but It is a lot easier just buying an exposed reel seat, I normally don't ream out the exposed real seat, instead I predetermine where I would want it (comparing to older rods I built) and tell the manufactor I'm buying it from to double check if it fits and if it doesn't to replace it with one that does.

Date: February 07, 2016 04:50AM

Michael, are you talking about people actually making the arbor needed out of thread and then sliding the seat over it?

If so, that's something I hadn't thought about doing, and could lend itself to a rather custom look that you couldn't get otherwise. I just had visions of a big open gap that would have to be filled with epoxy.

Interesting idea to be sure. And as you said, it would make any gap non existent.

I have a couple of reel seats lying around....... I may just give it a try.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 07, 2016 10:32AM

When making split grip seats, I'll start with an exposed seat that has the same continuous diameter running all the way through. As close to the blank's diameter as possible (the type of seat that does not require an arbor at all)

Ream it to fit, then split the seat to remove excess material between barrel threads and trigger
End up with a tight fit, no gaps, no excess thread or epoxy, clean edges

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2016 10:33AM by Steve Gardner.

Date: February 07, 2016 10:46AM

David, I think I might've came off wrong, you would epoxy the reel seat with whatever arbor you want (foam, polyurethane, masking tape, etc...) and then shape the epoxy on the side of the blank as a hill and wait for it to cure. After it cures with the reel seat on you can wrap on top of it with black thread, so there wouldn't be a gap. I've done it once before, I'll upload a picture on the picture part of this forum.

Date: February 07, 2016 10:46AM

David, I think I might've came off wrong, you would epoxy the reel seat with whatever arbor you want (foam, polyurethane, masking tape, etc...) and then shape the epoxy on the side of the blank as a hill and wait for it to cure. After it cures with the reel seat on you can wrap on top of it with black thread, so there wouldn't be a gap. I've done it once before, I'll upload a picture on the picture part of this forum.

Date: February 07, 2016 11:05AM

Check these out. [www.rodbuilding.org] [www.rodbuilding.org] [www.rodbuilding.org]
Sorry for the bad quality, had to take the pictures with my phone

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: February 07, 2016 11:26AM

There were articles in Rod Maker about making that type seat and a more exposed blank seat like the Castaway seat from a standard exposed blank, or non exposed blank reel seat. The articles were written by Richard Forhan.

Date: February 07, 2016 07:56PM

All I ever do David is fill in the front of the tube with Rod Bond and clean any rod bond on the blank with DA and use a winding check in front of the reel seat to cover any openings just like a fore grip on a Rod.

Glenn McMurrian

Date: February 08, 2016 08:14AM

My apologies to everyone. I clearly didn't read the original post correctly.

When I read the thread title, I immediately thought of an reel seat like a Fuji ECSM. One with a window in the reel seat where the blank is exposed, and not a two piece split reel seat such as that pictured in the photos Michael linked.

Now that I've had my eyes opened, the original post and process makes sense.

Sorry about that guys.

Date: February 09, 2016 12:25AM

David, It's alright, but now that I see how you were thinking that would be a pretty cool idea with the thread as the bushings on an exposed reel seat, I may try it on a dowel first and if I like it I might use it like that. It's weird how a misconception might add to a really cool idea.

Date: February 09, 2016 08:46AM

Michael ..... a thread arbor certainly can't be any less sturdy than the cardboard tube arbors I've uncovered tearing apart old rods to use as reamers. And it would definitely be a lot more pleasing to the eye if you decided to have it exposed via a window in the reel seat. lol

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster