I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

epoxy ridges over decal area, do i sand next ?
Posted by: David Hauch (---.lightspeed.sbndin.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 05, 2016 10:21PM

hi,
i applied a light cote of ProKote over my decal area, about 6''.
i have slight ridges perpendicular to rod, over this area now.
it's cured.
in the morning, i was going to block sand it with real fine sandpaper just to knock off the high spots, then apply another
thin coat. with a better appling method this time.

i'm i on the right track with the sanding ?

thx,

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: epoxy ridges over decal area, do i sand next ?
Posted by: Michael Maclean (---.knology.net)
Date: February 05, 2016 11:35PM

If it's really thin layer then I wouldn't sand it down at all before applying another layer. But if it's thick enough I'd sand it down and apply another layer. It's really a judgement call if you think you have enough epoxy to work with so you don't sand too far to mess up the blank or decal.

Date: February 05, 2016 11:41PM

i was afraid if i just put another layer on, it would just build up thickness & still have the ridges.
or will it just fill in the low spots ?
i'll look at it really close with magnifing glass and make sure i only it the tops.

i do this while spinning it right?

thx so much for help. this is the last step.

Posted by: chris newkirk (---.38.18.98.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: February 06, 2016 12:17AM

I know many on here are against what I'm about to throw out here, but...when it comes to covering decals or butt wraps, I put a lot if epoxy on and then torch it (without smoking the finish) which gets rid of excess epoxy yet leaves a nice finished layer when cured. It turns out smooth every time and is a very quick process.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 06, 2016 08:38AM

Put on a good wet coat No heat while turning
Watch it If it seems to be flowing leave it

Bill - willierods.com

Date: February 06, 2016 10:31AM

i did two test spots on a old rod. i brushed one on going lengthwise, and the other perpendicular,
looked great sitting there. put it on the dryer 12 hrs, and it's still has a few flawes.
from all the videos i've watched, i'm putting it on to thin i think.
doesn't look that hard to do....

Posted by: Mike Rodman (---.glt-wy.client.bresnan.net)
Date: February 06, 2016 10:45AM

fwiw, the ridges on my decal disappeared after the second coat of ProKote. I'm using a small 8pt single line decal and the first attempt had a corner lift up through the wet epoxy. I pulled the decal off and allowed the epoxy to set up and dry. The second attempt I placed the decal and then let it sit for a few hours to securely attach itself, and then applied the finish. Had a small ridge last night after the finish dried but went ahead and applied the next coat. This morning everything is fine and smooth to the eye and touch.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 06, 2016 12:30PM

Excellent Good to hear
David
Was that first coat over the Decal or just on the blank before the decal was put on
If just over the blank you could have just given it a scoff
Anyway glad it all worked

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2016 12:37PM by bill boettcher.

Date: February 06, 2016 12:58PM

my first coat was over the decal. no issues with the decal.
i just can't get this epoxy to level out perfect.
i still haven't applied the 2nd coat. going to do some light sanding, then apply another coat.
i was waitig to see what help i got here first.

room i'm applying it, is around 65 degrees. maybe i need to run some low heat from my heat gun on it to get it to flow out ?
plus i'mputting it on really then. maybe there's not enough epoxy to real flow out.... ?

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 06, 2016 03:06PM

David,
I use high build epoxy, and I generally only use 1+ coats on the rod.

By 1+ I simply mean that I very quickly get a coat of epoxy on the rod starting from the butt. This initial application is to get enough epoxy on the rod so that everything is essentially covered.

Then I carefully go over the rod again, starting from the butt to be sure that there are no bubbles or voids anywhere on the rod. I will use a bit of heat if necessary to get rid of any bubbles and to get any epoxy to flow that is needed.

Then, after leaving the epoxy turning for about 10 minutes, I go one more once over to see if there are any thin spots on the guide. If there is a thin spot, I just put a dab of finish on that spot while continuing to let the rod turn. Then I do the final once over checking with a very bright light and a magnified head piece to be sure that the finish is perfect. if there is a high spot or similar, I will just aim a bit of low heat at that spot to let the finish level. Then, I will just let it go for another 10 minutes keeping an eye on it from time to time and if everything continues to be all right, I will transfer the rod to my drum dryer for overnight drying.

Then, the following afternoon, I typically package the rod and ship it. By doing the finish application in 1+ passes, I save at least one or more drying cycles for applying more finish.

Be safe

Date: February 06, 2016 03:28PM

thank for the great info.
i block sande with 1500 grit.
put it on a tad thicker and put some low heat to it, it looks like glass now.

Posted by: William Neil (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: February 08, 2016 12:29PM

I am just learning to build rods. when you say low heat, what is your heat source ?

Date: February 08, 2016 12:34PM

William Neil Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am just learning to build rods. when you say low
> heat, what is your heat source ?

heat gun. as far as how hot. i can keep my hand, right in front of gun...
then i'm guessing its not to hot to boil the epoxy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2016 01:34PM by David Hauch.

Posted by: John Shear (198.135.124.---)
Date: February 08, 2016 05:15PM

I used to have to ridges like you stated. Then I followed the finishing process in the Library and the video Tom K. put on youtube. That solved all my issues. I think I got ridges from putting in on the dryer right away, like it kept the epoxy from leveling out nice. Turning by hand periodically for the first half hour to an hour and wicking excess off the bottom works for me.

John Shear
Chippewa Falls, WI

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster