I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Super gluing Micro guides
Posted by: Sid Thao (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: February 05, 2016 12:57PM

I've think I've read or seen this before but any cons of super gluing micro guides, especially ice rods which are a pita, I should be worry about? Negative reactions with epoxy or anything? I'm experimenting with an ice rod right now (getting ready to wrap) and find it a lot easier then small strips of scotch tape. Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Super gluing Micro guides
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 05, 2016 01:16PM

Flex Coat makes a guide placement adhesive that might work better than the CA adhesive. Although, some use the CA and most I'm aware of haven't reported any problems.

You can also start the guide wrap, and then just stick/slide the end of a micro guide under the thread and go from there. This may be the simplest way of all.

Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: February 05, 2016 01:17PM

Comments deleted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2016 05:01PM by John E Powell.

Posted by: Jared Taylor (---.hsd1.in.comcast.net)
Date: February 05, 2016 01:18PM

I would try a low melting point hot glue with as little amount as you can get away with to wrap them. I think the super glue would have too strong of a bond to the blank itself. I've used narrow 1/16" tape that I've purchased from an auto paint store. It was ridiculously expensive so I only use it on the tiniest of guides. Also have used the surgical tubing cut to size and have used dental rubber bands (like the ones used for braces). Flex coat actually makes a "guide foot" adhesive that I've used. It worked well once I figured out how much was too much. Good luck!

Posted by: Randy Kruger (---.cbpu.com)
Date: February 05, 2016 01:37PM

I have started to use the use the Flex Coat rod guide adhesive, and have used low melt hot glue, both work. The problem that I have is that my fingers get hot on occasion, because of the heat that I apply to the guide foot, , and my close proximity to the flame.. CA will sometimes turn white under the guides, and that is not good. It only takes a tiny bit to hold the guides in place with the adhesive.

Posted by: Randy Kruger (---.cbpu.com)
Date: February 05, 2016 01:37PM

I have started to use the use the Flex Coat rod guide adhesive, and have used low melt hot glue, both work. The problem that I have is that my fingers get hot on occasion, because of the heat that I apply to the guide foot, , and my close proximity to the flame.. CA will sometimes turn white under the guides, and that is not good. It only takes a tiny bit to hold the guides in place with the adhesive.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 05, 2016 01:38PM

The nice thing about the hot melt cement is that after wrapping you can still move the guide for final alignment. It does not take much to stick the guide foot down. Make sure you use locking wraps for pull out security.
Norm

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 05, 2016 02:13PM

Sid,
Yes, guide cement or other low temp hot melt glue will work, but I much prefer to either use 1/8th inch wide tape for the larger guides or small dental O rings for the smaller guides and smaller rod blanks.

For the smallest ones, I use O rings that have an internal diameter of .1 inch. They work very well for those tiny parts. Once the blanks are larger and or the guides are larger, the use of the 1/8th inch wide tape works very well.

[www.midlineortho.com]|&cat=81

Slip as many ties on the blank as needed plus an extra. Then, slip the tie over the guide and adjust as needed. When finished getting the guide secure with the wrap, I use a very sharp pointed set of side cutters to snip the tie. Then, I finish wrapping the guide. Really simple, easy and no fuss no mess and no clean up.

Be safe

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2016 02:26PM by roger wilson.

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: February 05, 2016 04:13PM

I've had very good results with Flex Coat Guide Foot Adhesive but be sure you don't pick up the Tip Adhesive stick accidentally - two different animals. Wrap a piece of masking tape around each and label them.

Posted by: Mike Laver (---.home4.cgocable.net)
Date: February 05, 2016 05:34PM

For cutting the O Rings I purchased a scapel with blades off @#$%&, amazingly sharp and pointed, cuts the bands easily, I'm sure these thing could circumcise a field mouse.

Date: February 05, 2016 06:04PM

Thanks for all the tips guys. I've tried hot glue melt before and just cannot stick the guide straight enough onto a ice rod blank, 1-3mm diameter, before it hardens. It doesn't help either that I have shakey hands!

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 05, 2016 06:59PM

If you can put them on with some kind of rubber bands that should work better
Try to find the ones talked about above

Bill - willierods.com

Date: February 05, 2016 07:29PM

Sid,
If you unhide your e-mail, I can send you the link where I purchase my dental bands.

Be safe

Date: February 05, 2016 07:41PM

Email is revealed! Thanks Rogee, I really appreciate the help.

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 05, 2016 08:08PM

got my dental bands from the local orthodontist office for free!

Posted by: David Parsons (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 06, 2016 08:00AM

I like the flex coat guide foot adhesive I use two pairs of tweezers one to hold the guide and heat the foot then put the hot foot to the glue stick then use the second pair of tweezers to get the guide set in place

Date: February 06, 2016 05:10PM

Sid,
Source sent to you.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 06, 2016 05:53PM

Food for thought
With the bands a static test you can adjust the guides to fit the blank curve and just slide the guide
taking the guide off and Re Gluing sounds like a bit of a pain

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster