I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

how long to keep drying/turning after epoxy gels ?
Posted by: David Hauch (---.lightspeed.sbndin.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 03, 2016 09:42PM

hey guys,
can i take the rod of the dryer after my ProKote epoxy has gelled ?
i only epoxied the guides. they've been drying 10hrs at 70 degrees. just a little tackiness to them.
i like to epoxy my trim bands now, and was wonder if i can remove the rod from the
dryer, before they reach there fully cured stage which takes 24hrs, as per ProKote instructions.

thx,

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2016 10:32PM by David Hauch.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: how long to keep drying/turning after epoxy gels ?
Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 03, 2016 09:51PM

Yes - you can remove rod.

How do you know they are still tacky? Did you touch the wraps - I hope not - or an unused portion?

Tacky after 12 hours is very unusual. I never used Prokote though.

Herb

Date: February 03, 2016 10:34PM

i edited, it's been 10hrs.
so once the glue has gelled, there's no reason to keep turning it then ?

Posted by: Chris Herrera (---.sub-70-199-131.myvzw.com)
Date: February 04, 2016 12:35AM

Hello David,

Once the epoxy has set up sufficiently not to droop, drip, stretch, or wiggle, you can stop rotating it. The time this takes depends on the temp you've got your room, but around 75° or so, with a properly mixed finish, two hours rotation is usually good.

Take care,

Chris

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 04, 2016 07:59AM

Generally, at room temperature most epoxy thread finishes will set beyond movement in about 2 to 3 hours. I would suggest you set your rotation timer to stop at 3 hours but leave the rod alone until the next day.

Posted by: phil ayers (50.58.79.---)
Date: February 04, 2016 08:14AM

I let mine turn until I can touch the unused epoxy and it does not leave a print, something I learned on the board and It works for me, I hope this helps because I have been helped a lot by folks here. Phil

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 04, 2016 10:17AM

David,
You mentioned that you have epoxied the guides but not the trim bands.

Are your trim bands part of the guide wraps, or are the trim bands that you mention trim bands on the butt or tip of the rod?

Normally, if trim bands are adjacent to the guide wraps one would coat the trim bands at the same time as the guides.

By the way, if excess epoxy is still tacky, and if there were any chance that your hand or fingers might touch any spot on the rod with that epoxy finish - I would wait for a few more hours until the tacky feeling is gone.

Be safe

Date: February 04, 2016 10:39AM

David,
With respect to finish.

Be sure to measure the part a and part b accurately.

Then, be sure to gently mix the finish for at least two minutes or 120 seconds - by the clock.

When I first started building, I ended up with a couple of batches of finish that remained tacky for a long time. I asked my teacher what the problem might be and he suggested insufficient mixing.

So, even though I mixed until I thought that everything was mixed, I followed his suggestion to mix by the clock for 2 minutes or 120 seconds. I use a craft stick to slowly mix the finish in a plastic container. I frequently wipe the stick off on the sides of the container, and then mix up that finish so that every single part of the finish gets well mixed.

Since going to the technique of mixing by the clock for 2 minutes - minimum - I have not had any more issues of tacky finish.

Be safe

Date: February 04, 2016 10:57AM

first, thank you guys for all your very detailed post. you guys are good!
my bigger trim bands are all south of the stripper guide. thought i better just do the guides first.
seriously, i was just to scared to put epoxy over my decals first. i can remove guides.... :-)
i was in business building high end composite r/c sailplanes for many yrs, and have mixed a ton of epoxy,
so i feel i did this right.
everything dried nicely, and turned out great.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2016 11:07AM by David Hauch.

Date: February 04, 2016 02:06PM

David,
Even if you built sailplanes for many years, it is tough to mix 2,000 lbs of epoxy.

Just kidding.

Be safe

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster