I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Graphite Blank Question
Posted by: Frank McKinney (---.sub-70-196-13.myvzw.com)
Date: February 03, 2016 09:38PM

I would like to know what the majority on this forum thinks is the best blank on the market today for 150.00 or less.
It would need to be 10 to 15 lb. medium action 7' or 7' 6" Graphite blank with a fast tip. There are so many blanks on the market today it's hard to choose one for myself, thats why I would like to see which blank everyone else would choose for them selfs. Please help me decide on my next build.

Thanks in advance
Frank McKinney

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Graphite Blank Question
Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.direcway.com)
Date: February 03, 2016 10:43PM

Frank,
can you tell us what your use for the rod will be? That sure will help with narrowing down the selection.

Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: February 04, 2016 06:23AM

Huge selection under $150. Depends on what you are using it for.

Thanks - Marc

Keep it simple - that's all I can handle!

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: February 04, 2016 08:10AM

I've only built 5 rods thus far so I don't have any experience with a lot of different blanks. With that said, The Immortal series of blanks from Rainshadow can be had for around $150, and they are outstanding blanks.

Pac Bay's Quickline series of blanks are also very nice, and can be had for between $100 and $140.

Posted by: Randy Kruger (---.cbpu.com)
Date: February 04, 2016 08:36AM

American Tackle Bushido Blanks. Best Bang for the Buck on the Market. Straight, light, strong..

Posted by: Rolly Beenen (192.75.48.---)
Date: February 04, 2016 08:38AM

American tackles line up of Bushido blanks will meet and excede your need for under 150 bucks. One of the straightest blanks around . You didnt mention if it is spiining or casting but here are a few suggestions. MB73/8-15 or the MB73/10-20 or the for spinning the SJ72/8-15

Any of those should fill your bill

Rolly Beenen
Rovic Custom Rods

Posted by: Capt. Craig Freeman (---.nianet.org)
Date: February 04, 2016 08:48AM

BUSHIDO! from American Tackle. I'm pretty much exclusively a saltwater fisherman and for specks, pups, and school rockfish these are my go to blanks. The MB73/8-15 or CB72/8-15 both meet your criteria. The CB72/8-15 is a more moderate to fast action in the tip, but it is great for topwater and casting 17MR mirrolures. The MB73/8-15 is my "jig rod". From 1/8 to 1/2 ounce lead heads it is great. Based on your description this blank is probably a 99% match to what you want. You can't go wrong with either.

Posted by: Dean Fowler (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: February 04, 2016 09:16AM

I build custom rods in the panhandle of Florida. I have built many American Tackle Bushido blanks for customers and myself. Everyone I have built one for loves them including me. They have large variety of blanks and carry a lifetime warranty. And you can't beat the price.

Posted by: Scott Kleppe (---.233.160.108.sta.southslope.net)
Date: February 04, 2016 09:36AM

Look no further than a Bushido blank. Let us know what you plan to use it for and someone get get more specific in the blank model.

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: February 04, 2016 09:42AM

I realize it's early in the game and not many builders have had the chance to try it, but POINT Blank would certainly be included among the elite group of "top-end" blanks. Many of those who have tried it put it at number one.

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: February 04, 2016 09:53AM

Jim Ising Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I realize it's early in the game and not many
> builders have had the chance to try it, but POINT
> Blank would certainly be included among the elite
> group of "top-end" blanks. Many of those who have
> tried it put it at number one.

I would second this suggestion. An outstanding blank!

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Posted by: Don @ American Tackle (---.biz.bhn.net)
Date: February 04, 2016 10:19AM

As mentioned above.... take a look at the Bushido's.....

They are super durable with great feel, made from the best materials and are affordable.

There are many companies and tournament pro's (some of the worlds best) that are now using the Bushido blanks with confidence.

800-516-1750 ext. 1207 / don@americantackle.us

Rod Building..... It's What We Do.

Posted by: chris newkirk (---.14.188.173.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: February 04, 2016 02:34PM

Don't forget the MHX blanks, especially the High Modulus lineup.

Posted by: Jim Alberts (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: February 04, 2016 03:43PM

I have the same question excpt it pertains to fly rod blanks, most all discussed in this thread are for spin or casting. I have owned or own some "high end " fly rods and while,they are very nice I wonder if you can duplicate this with a blank that isnt from Sage, Loomis, St Croix, Winston, etc, etc. Any opinions?

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.56.39.---)
Date: February 04, 2016 04:56PM

Hard to duplicate a rod with another company's blank, not the same mandrel, materials, layup, etc. Can you get a nice rod you'd be proud to fish anywhere? You bet.

Posted by: James Taylor (---.wavecable.com)
Date: February 04, 2016 06:07PM

Like others said it depends what you’re looking to do with the rod to pick a specific blank but here are a few models from our lineup that fit.

RainShadow Immortal line is High Modulus and for the most part comes in at $150 retail (depending on the dealer).
[www.rainshadowrodblanks.com]

RainShadow Revelation line, is Intermediate Modulus and is a tournament tested for a number of year loved by many.
[www.rainshadowrodblanks.com]

RX7 lineup is also quite popular.

Posted by: Richard Bowers (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: February 04, 2016 08:07PM

Frank,

I would consider the American Tackle Bushido line. They have an excellent price point for rods using the high-tech nano resin, and speaking from experience, they work very well and have great quality control. There are several that would fit your parameters. In the next couple months, they are even bringing out Bushido Fly blanks - can't wait to get my hands on their 3-weight!!

If you want even more versatility, American Tackle also has the Black Matrix series and ATX series - there is something there for everyone!!

Rich

Posted by: Frank McKinney (---.sub-70-196-9.myvzw.com)
Date: February 04, 2016 09:17PM

Gentlemen I have 3 MHX rods and 2 Batson rods that I have built for myself and like all of them, but was wanting to see what else everyone else thought.
All your input sure has helped me out a lot. First thing I bass fish and I am going to use the rod for top water swim baits I want a 7' or 7' 6" medium blank. Also it's funny I have a friend that myself and another rod builder that is also a friend to both of us have built him many rods. His last rod was built buy the other builder on a Bushido blank and he told me today that the Bushido is his favorite rod of all the custom rods we have built him. I am sure that Don Morse will be able to tell me which Bushido blank to purchase for top water swim bait. Thanks again and it looks like Bushido wins the poll. All of you guys are great and we are blessed to have this forum to help us when we get into a bind and or need help to educate us on rod building.

You all have a Blessed Day
Frank McKinney

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster