I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

tack cloth to remove dust ?
Posted by: David Hauch (---.lightspeed.sbndin.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 02, 2016 06:56PM

hey guys,
first time poster here.
just getting ready to apply epoxy to my first rod build. is it ok to use a tack cloth lightly to remove any dust on threads & rod ?
i did some testing, and that dust really shows up.
thx, and appreciate any tips.
dave

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: tack cloth to remove dust ?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 02, 2016 07:20PM

Knock it off with a soft brush.

Posted by: Chad Barlongo (---.mycingular.net)
Date: February 02, 2016 07:36PM

Hello,

I also use a bright light when removing dust.

It really helps to see things better, especially on black thread.

-chad

Posted by: brian rossi (107.77.75.---)
Date: February 02, 2016 07:40PM

I build rods in my garage where I also turn grips and plugs on my lathe so I have lots of dust around. The last thing I do before I apply finish is go over all the wraps with blue painters tape and have never had any finish problems. I'm assuming tack cloth would be fine.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 02, 2016 08:56PM

I do the same thing as Brian.
First, I use my air compressor with high pressure air to blow off everything that might be on the rod.

Then, I go over every wrap on the rod with blue painters tape as Brian does and there are no dust issues ever with the rods. Also, the low tack blue painters tape also does not cause any issues either.

Be safe

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: February 02, 2016 09:17PM

never used the tack cloth . but what is on the cloth ? will it affect the epoxy at all ? I don't know just asking

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 02, 2016 09:24PM

If you use high pressure air do it outside of the finish room or take the rod to a clean room while you wait of the dust to settle that was certainly stirred when you used the air. Better off with the brush and blue tape. Tack cloth will possibly transfer the chemical in it to the wrap nd cause fisheyes. I never get to anal about dust . It really is a moot point

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: David Hauch (---.lightspeed.sbndin.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 02, 2016 10:00PM

thx guys for all the great ideas. i'm good to go now.
not sure whats in the tack cloth. i always used them before i applied clear coat over stained wood products, works great to remove any debris.

dave

Posted by: doug raff (---.lightspeed.tukrga.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 02, 2016 10:14PM

I've used a tack cloth for years without issue. Key is to use minimal pressure on the threads.

Posted by: Danny Davis (---.nrflva.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 02, 2016 10:32PM

I use a lint roller. It's basically 6" wide masking tape. A couple quick passes down the blank and your ready to go in about a minute.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 03, 2016 11:07AM

doug has it right, iMHO. Tack cloth combats static electricity which some options do not. Minimal pressure, as he says.

Posted by: Drew Longnecker (184.21.190.---)
Date: February 03, 2016 11:13AM

Another vote for the blue painters tape. I've had certain tack clothes that have had issues arise with some finished. Never tried it with epoxy.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 03, 2016 03:15PM

Before I place the rod on the dryer to finish I spray water under where the rod goes and ALL AROUND the area Then place the rod on and blow it off Brush it off and even use a ( DAMP ) not wet paper-towel to wipe the threads off while turning Then also light heat to make sure the threads are -- DRY

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: ray balmforth (120.152.33.---)
Date: February 04, 2016 06:34AM

Guess the first thing you would want to know is where the dust coming from.And I have found it unavoidable even though I have a purpose built room.
So for me i haven't worried about the dust if it has settled but much more if there is some sort of air movement which causes the dust to be transported in the air around the room.
If you are lucky enough to have an area where you can do the finishing and there are minimal flows you are one step closer to achieving a perfect finish.
Just my humble opinion.

Ray Balmforth
Figtree
NSW
Australia

Posted by: ray balmforth (120.152.33.---)
Date: February 04, 2016 06:34AM

Guess the first thing you would want to know is where the dust coming from.And I have found it unavoidable even though I have a purpose built room.
So for me i haven't worried about the dust if it has settled but much more if there is some sort of air movement which causes the dust to be transported in the air around the room.
If you are lucky enough to have an area where you can do the finishing and there are minimal flows you are one step closer to achieving a perfect finish.
Just my humble opinion.

Ray Balmforth
Figtree
NSW
Australia

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 04, 2016 10:34AM

Speaking about dust.

In between builds, it is not a bad idea to open all of the windows in the shop and put a couple of big fans in the windows. Orient one so that it blows into the room, and another fan in a different window so that it blows out of the room.

Then, take an air compressor with high pressure air, or a vacuum cleaner on the exhaust side and a crevice nozzle to increase the air velocity, and go over all of the surfaces in the room to get any dust into the air currents. Leave the fans blowing for a couple of hours and about 98% of any loose dust in the room will be blown out of the room.

------------------------
Several years ago, my wife and I took an extended trip where we were gone for a month. I had an acquaintance that did sheet rock work, plastering and painting. I hired him to go into the house and remove all of the cottage cheese or blown ceiling material from all of the ceilings from our home. He worked hard and did an excellent job. We had previously cleared all of the rooms of any thing in the rooms, except for the larger pieces of furniture. Then the furniture was covered with covers during the work period.

As folks know, when sheet rock is sanded down, the dust can be quite abrasive. When we came back we were well pleased with the results of his ceiling work throughout the home. He had also done a reasonable job to clean up after him.

But, as one would expect, there was still some sheet rock dust here and there throughout the house.

After we had gotten home and settled back in, but before we brought out anything back into the rooms, we did a good job of vacuuming everything. Then, one morning my wife went shopping for a few hours.
While she was gone, I opened all of the windows in the house. Then, I went into the garage and filled the leaf blower with gas and adjusted it so that it was running very well. Then, starting with the rooms that were furthest from the doors, went through the entire home, using the leaf blower to blow dust off of everything. Ceilings, walls, and objects. As I cleared a room, I shut the door behind me with the windows left open. There was a bit of wind blowing that day, so with the doors shut and the slight wind blowing, each of the room was cleared of fumes by the time that my wife returned home. The leaf blower worked very well indeed to remove all of the sheet rock dust form the home. Although we could have used a damp cloth to do the same thing, the sheet rock dust is quite abrasive and I really did not want to take the chance of rubbing any furniture or objects with the dust that would have damaged the objects.

This is certainly not a technique that is for everyone, but it certainly worked for me for this particular - DUST - issue. Obviously, one does not want to have any light object where you are blowing or the objects will sail out the window along with the dust that is removed from the room.

-------------------
In my rod work, I do all of the drilling and lathing in a separate building from the rod shop. Then, after doing any drilling or lathe work, I use high pressure air from the air compressor to blow off the grips and or blanks that have been part of the work. So, then, when the objects are brought into the rod shop, they are free of any dust that could contaminate the shop and end up on the finished rod.

Good luck

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster