I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

cork or . . .
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: February 01, 2016 01:47PM

I like the feel of cork grips, but today I can buy an excellent fly-rod blank for the price of a decent cork grip. Putty-smeared cork grips are not an acceptable choice. The putty turns to powder and the shoulders of the exposed holes in the cork quickly crumble. What alternative to cork is the best grip choice for a person who intends to frequently fish with a fly rod?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: cork or . . .
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 01, 2016 02:03PM

Because of the shape of the fly rod grips carbon fiber is a good choice if you don't want cork. . Even the recess for the seat hood is not difficult if you have it set up right. You can make any diameter you want (some like them larger than standard). Riley Rods for materials. I recommend buying the foam bars as opposed to trying to pour them yourself. They are not that expensive, and no mess, no mistakes. Riley has good tutorials , too.

Don't be worried about them being slippery; it's the shape that's important. I find them fine for all types of grips/butt knobs/ramps. And while they don't look traditional, they sure are sharp looking.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 01, 2016 02:11PM

Many fly rod guys I know didn't want to try the foam-carbon grips early on, but since trying them they have become among the greatest proponents of that type grip.

You also have the option of wood, cored if you want to keep the weight down.

Posted by: Wyatt Rutherford (---.biz.bhn.net)
Date: February 01, 2016 02:29PM

Take a look at Winn Fly Grips, we sell (in my opinion) an awesome color/pattern that is similar to cork. This Winn grip will outlast cork and virtually no up-keep. [www.getbitoutdoors.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2016 02:31PM by Wyatt Rutherford.

Posted by: gary Marquardt (141.211.151.---)
Date: February 01, 2016 03:09PM

if you want to keep that traditional look to the rod look at rattan wrapping or even bark. I've done a few out of cotton wood bark(as light as cork but with cool color) and I've seen them done with pine/fir bark from the northwest. also birch bark. custom fly grips on the left sells it.

Posted by: Bryan Yates (67.223.216.---)
Date: February 01, 2016 03:59PM

As Tom and Michael pointed out, CF grips are excellent. I'm not going back to cork, and the people for whom I've built CF fly grips don't want to go back to cork either. If you haven't tried them, you owe it yourself to give them a shot.

Posted by: Miles Miller (172.56.12.---)
Date: February 01, 2016 04:44PM

What about using a cork sealer? I've only used it on a couple rods so far, and the oldest one has been used for half a year. So far it's holding up fantastic. Would this be a possible 'alternative', or will it have the same effects?

I'm curious to know because I agree with the cork issue, but so far I have been very pleased with using the U40 cork sealer.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 01, 2016 05:38PM

I had never held a Winn grip in my hand before. However, I was over at another shop which had several rods built with Winn grips.

I see nothing but good things about the Winn grips and really no downside at all. If I was to build another fly rod, I would certainly use a Winn grip, based on what I had in my hand this morning.

Very attractive, non slip, long lasting and reasonably priced.

Be safe

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 01, 2016 07:36PM

In order to keep myself up to date with new stuff in the rod building market I have built a couple of fly rods each using Winn grips and carbon fiber grips. In my opinion they are both excellent but have distinctly different feels. The carbon fiber grips I used were the premade half wells CFX grip from mudhole; this saved me the time and effort of making my own. They were very firm/hard grips which come in a matte finish; I coated them with perma gloss, looks great. Even though they are hard they are not slick or slippery when wet and have a nice grippy feel. The Winn grips were also half wells and have a soft tacky feel which gets tackier when wet. They are really comfortable to fish with. I really like both grips and have not made up my mind which I like better. I do not think you can go wrong with either of these grips. They are both light but not a big difference when compared to each other or to cork. I should mention the Winn grips are about $11.00 cheaper.

Posted by: Ken Finch (---.ip-167-114-118.net)
Date: February 01, 2016 07:54PM

I think that on a fly rod your best bet is a grip that is both light and hard. Any grip that is the least bit spongy or soft will eventually tire out your hand. For a fly rod the grip needs to be extra firm.

Posted by: Capt. Michael Harmon (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 02, 2016 07:55AM

The winn grips work great. I use the fore grips on surf rods and the fly grips. Very comfortable and don't get slippery after handling a fish.

Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: February 02, 2016 09:23AM

Comments deleted

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2016 05:01PM by John E Powell.

Date: February 02, 2016 01:38PM

Any grip material covered with Perma Gloss (or any other coating) would feel the same to the touch. Is it necessary to coat carbon fiber or winn grips with a sealer or protectant? Is there any information about the useful life of winn grips or woven carbon/hard foam grips?

Date: February 02, 2016 02:27PM

No do not coat Winn grips with anything, doing so will probably ruin the grip. The carbon fiber grips do not need to be coated, but many people making or using these grips like to coat them with perma gloss, lumiseal or epoxy. This will not harm the grip and gives them an added sheen/gloss that looks good. There is a u-tube video by Tom Kirkman demonstrating how to properly coat a carbon fiber grip with Perma gloss. I like the feel that perma gloss gives to the carbon fiber grip. But different strokes for different folks.

As far as longevity, the Winn grips for fishing rods are relatively new, but Winn grips for golf clubs have been around for a while, and my golfer friends say they hold up very well. For the carbon fiber grips I see no reason why they would not last a lifetime. They seem very durable and almost bullet proof.

Date: February 02, 2016 04:10PM

The carbon grips that are coated so that they will exhibit a nice, smooth surface, offer a more tactile feel and gripping surface than the unfinished variety. Believe it or not, the coated grips are more "grippy" to the human hand than the uncoated ones. But no, you don't have to coat them if you don't want to.

Date: February 02, 2016 05:09PM

Boy those grips made from tree bark, rattan and banksia nut pods are really striking prices of art! Thank for sharing.
Norm

Posted by: ray balmforth (120.152.33.---)
Date: February 03, 2016 12:48AM

X2 on those pictures of materials they are something else.They are truly custom pieces of work.They are something that i will be aspiring to.Thanks for sharing.

Ray Balmforth
Figtree
NSW
Australia

Date: February 03, 2016 04:11PM

Thread art and grip art are captivating. I'm looking for the most useful, durable and cost effective fly rod grips.

Date: February 03, 2016 04:12PM

Thread art and grip art are captivating. I'm looking for the most useful, durable and cost effective fly rod grips.

Date: February 03, 2016 08:36PM

Then the carbon skinned, foam core grips may be exactly what you're after. They don't cost much to make, but do require a good bit of hand labor, so there is that back end cost, at least if you're selling rods to the public.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster