I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Do l continue or is ths rod junk.
Posted by: Gordon Cockburn (---.bchsia.telus.net)
Date: January 31, 2016 03:42PM

A few years ago l bought a couple of graphite rods specifically designed for trolling plugs without using a downrigger in salt water. I have since found out that the guides are not designed for salt water use (turning green with some corrosion), and in the process of replacing them. After strippin all the guides off the first rod, l found an obvious break under an area where one of the guide feet resided in the tip are, rendering that rod unrepairable. I have started on the second rod now and under the stripper guide the finish is flaked off. This could be as a result of my over enthusiastic removal of the guide ( twisting during removal) or poor guide foot prep and too much thread tension, l don't know. In any event l now have two very small sections of rod that no longer have the outer coating on them, l can see the graphite underneath, and it does not appear damaged even under magnification.

Do l just continue on and rely on the fresh coat of epoxy to fill in and preserve the integrity of the rod, or do l make the rod into a cork reamer?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Do l continue or is ths rod junk.
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 31, 2016 04:27PM

Gordon,
Just to be clear, there is no need for a fishing rod to have any finish on the rod to be a very capable and long lasting rod.

A rod finish is used for one thing and one thing only - appearance.

Often, when I rebuild a rod, I will strip it completely of all finish and then do a buff of the graphite and leave the rod with a buffed graphite finish in much the same way as G Loomis sold their rods for many years.

By the way, when removing a guide from a blank - there should never be any force exerted on the blank. Use a knife to cut through the finish and thread over the guide foot. Use a finger nail to get under the cut edge of the threads and epoxy. Peel the thread and finish off of the rod. If necessary, you can use a bit of gentle heat to soften the epoxy a bit, if it is too tough to get off the rod with the finish at room temperature. Then, just use a razor blade held perpendicular to the length of the rod blank to scrape off any remaining thread and or finish in the area of the guide.

Good luck

Posted by: Jim Howell (---.static.leds.al.charter.com)
Date: February 01, 2016 10:59AM

What is the best way to remove the old finish and paint from a rod? I am restoring an old St. Croix and want to get it down to the graphite without damaging the graphite.

Posted by: Chris Richer (131.137.243.---)
Date: February 01, 2016 01:02PM

Using a single edge razor blade, held 90 degrees to the blank, push away. This will remove the finish very quickly, with minimal chance of damaging the blank. Another option is to use a mild stripper like Citristrip.

Chris Richer
Iroquois ON

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 01, 2016 05:53PM

X10 on the comment by Chris to hold a razor blade at right angles to the rod, and then use it with a simple scraping motion as opposed to holding a knife in a parallel position which is very likely to cut graphite off of the blank.

Good luck

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster