I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

St Croix SC V
Posted by: Jim Howell (---.static.leds.al.charter.com)
Date: January 30, 2016 07:12PM

I ordered a 7ft medium extra fast SCV St.Croix blank that I had not got around to building. As per chance would have it I found a 6ft 8" factory extreme rod at a popular Birmingham sporting's good store for $260.00 I could not turn it down for that as it was a manufactures sample. It had three Fuji tangle free stripper guides and dropped off to 5mm. tangle free concepts. Since I am a user of braid I like the concepts. I decided to build the other one. I started with number 20 stripper guide and worked down to a 10 and went to the no five concept guides. Even though it is a couple of inches longer than the factory extreme , I ended up using one less guide and in my opinion ended up with a smoother and less angular arch.
The point of all this is that it drove home why I like to build rods. I was able to size a perfect fitting cork handle to fit my hand, one piece like I like. The extreme has split seats and small split grips. I was able to wrap the threads tighter and use a beautifully crimson thread with a black metallic trim ring in the middle. In addition the thread glue did not look like a gobbed on football. To beat it all with the same reel and 10 pound braid, my rod outcasts the factory one. It was a treat to be able to see the difference side by side and realize the time we put in a rod is worth it., The extreme factory rod is a fine rod, that I am proud to own, but I like the one I built to suit me better!.

Another interesting point is St. Croix does not put a hook keeper on the top of the line extreme. I was curious and called St. Croix about it and their rep told me no matter where they put it someone complained so they decided not to do it all together. I fixed that on the store bought extreme as I am not going to ruin the guides by hooking a hook in them. I used a traditional small hook keeper that I tied to the left side of the rod with green thread and a metallic green trim ring in the middle to match their thread pattern.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2016 07:42PM by Jim Howell.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: St Croix SC V
Posted by: Michael Maclean (---.sub-70-209-1.myvzw.com)
Date: January 30, 2016 08:01PM

Glad to here this. I've yet compared a custom rod to a factory rod with the same blank. I might have to build an scV and compare it with my friends scV

Date: January 30, 2016 08:41PM

If you decide to build an SV, call St. Croix and they will give you the specific spacing recommendations for the rod. Then I adjust from there. It is a good starting point and they seem to like to help.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: January 31, 2016 10:48AM

The only keeper I have experienced line tangles/snags with is on the left side. :-)

What does less angular arch mean?

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 31, 2016 11:34AM

Telling you that they don't put a hook keeper on a SCV because no matter where they put it someone would complain is pure @#$%&. If you had asked him, using his own statement, why is it okay to
to put hook keepers on any of their rods if you can't please anyone??? Truth is it costs less to make that rod without a hook keeper and over time that savings is huge. I have installed the keepers for the guys that have them and all wished it had come with one, and for the price it should have had one.

Same can be said for split grips. Manufacturers use less cork and charge more telling everyone what a great idea it is, for them it is! Although I have to say I like split grips.

Tom

Date: January 31, 2016 03:52PM

Less angle from one guide to the next when the rod is flexed.More of a smooth parabola. .This is important with concept guides, when they get to 5mm or less. I have a bait caster rod that I put on the right hand side of the rod but that is where I have problems snagging. The factory Loomis that I have had all these years come with the hook keeper on the left side and have not caused me any heartburn..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2016 03:58PM by Jim Howell.

Date: January 31, 2016 04:11PM

If you liked the story the Croix rep gave, then you will like the one the kid at the sporting goods store told me. He said they did not put hook keepers on Extremes because it would weaken the blank!
I called him out on the spot for that one! I suspect the real reason as you said ,the cost.

Date: January 31, 2016 04:11PM

If you liked the story the Croix rep gave, then you will like the one the kid at the sporting goods store told me. He said they did not put hook keepers on Extremes because it would weaken the blank!
I called him out on the spot for that one! I suspect the real reason as you said ,the cost.

Posted by: Trinity Lindseth (---.nwmnsa.com)
Date: February 01, 2016 12:47PM

A super easy way to install a hook keeper: Drill a hole in the trigger of the reel seat and sand the edges of the hole. Done. No wraps, no tangles.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 01, 2016 06:01PM

Trinity,

You will stop doing that after the lure gets caught on something and you break the trigger off of a reel seat and requiring that the rod be rebuilt. . You can do this to your rods, but I would never take a chance on drilling a hole like this and having a lure catch and break the reel seat.

Be safe

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: February 02, 2016 12:33AM

I've drilled a 1/8 " hole in the trigger for a hook keeper for 15 years with zero failures, can't imagine what it would take to cause a failure, the downside is some have pricked their hand on the exposed hook tip. I just don't put my hand there when carrying my rods.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2016 03:37PM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Trinity Lindseth (---.nwmnsa.com)
Date: February 02, 2016 11:21AM

Agree with Spencer... You're going to need to apply a pretty substantial force to break a trigger off a reel seat. I've done this to all of my own rods from light cranking rods for bass all the way up to 10'6" XXH musky rods. I've yet to run into an issue.
If you are that desperate for a hook keeper, the hood of the reel seat along the foot of the reel works well, or the reel itself... I guess I just see them as an unnecessary add on.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster