I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Same thread color in size A and D, different finish color?
Posted by: Mike Rodman (---.google.com)
Date: January 29, 2016 11:33AM

I used NCP ProWrap #422 Bluegill in size A as an underwrap, and then in size D to wrap the keeper. One light coat of CP was applied and allowed to dry for two hours, and then the ProKote thread finish was used. As you can see there is a fairly apparent difference in color appearance. Not a big deal with this rod as it looks almost planned, but would have been an issue had I desired it to match. Is this an anomaly with the thread batch? On the spool, I cannot tell a difference in the colors.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Same thread color in size A and D, different finish color?
Posted by: Jim Upton (---.sub-70-211-139.myvzw.com)
Date: January 29, 2016 12:35PM

It looks like the difference between NCP and regular nylon.

Posted by: Mike Rodman (---.glt-wy.client.bresnan.net)
Date: January 29, 2016 12:53PM

I double checked afterwards and both spools are marked ProWrap ColorFast 422, CFS-A and CFS-D. To the naked eye they both appear to be identical in color as well.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 29, 2016 12:57PM

Just a though but cause the D is larger should you have used 2 coats of CP ??
But then NCP thread does not need CP
What if you tried both threads on scrap no CP and see how it looks ??

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2016 01:00PM by bill boettcher.

Date: January 29, 2016 01:44PM

Bill, I'm placing guides on a similar stick for myself this morning and will use the same threads for the build w/o CP, out of curiosity.

Date: January 29, 2016 03:02PM

Let us know I use pro wrap thread ????

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 29, 2016 03:31PM

The smaller thread is wrapped directly on the blank, the larger is wrapped on the smaller thread, right? This is at least some of your difference. One is on one color background, the other on a different colored background. And, A three tends to change more due to background than D, which is heavier and therefore more resistant to shade changes due to background.

Date: January 29, 2016 04:04PM

The smaller thread on the dark blank - Would that not be darker cause the dark blank

Bill - willierods.com

Date: January 29, 2016 04:51PM

One thread is wrapped over green, the other over blue.

Date: January 29, 2016 05:07PM

So the blank is painted Green ??? Which made the A thread lighten up Or am I missing something
Looking at the A near the fore-grip I see space in the thread I am wondering how well it was packed and burnished

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2016 05:11PM by bill boettcher.

Date: January 29, 2016 05:37PM

The blank is an ice blank MHX 30" carbon and is black - or very, very dark grey depending upon ones eye. Under wrap is #422 ProWrap size A with a neon yellow size A thread inlay of 5 wraps at the center. The over wrap is #422 ProWrap size D, and is wrapped directly over the #422 beneath. The only green would be the centered inlay which is visible and not covered.

I wrapped up an identical MHX blank in the same colors and inlay after the OP. Was called to work before I could apply the ProKote finish though. There isn't any color difference between the two so far, and I'll take pics of the before and after w/o CP and finished when I get back home. Thanks for the input so far!

Date: January 29, 2016 05:54PM

I thought the blank was green-olive. At any rate, two different backgrounds, two different sized threads can result in two different shades of color.

Date: January 29, 2016 07:10PM

I am not trying to break your chops Tom - but NCP or Color Fast whatever ya call it thread with CP on should hold the color - If it was not a bad batch of thread I mean heck the color is WAY off IF packed and burnished well The top D thread looks like that is what it should look like ???
Or maybe marked wrong ??? People are only human

Maybe calling Mud-hole and maybe they know if there was a bad batch or marked wrong

It is nice and looks good with the different colors

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2016 07:15PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Scott Gamble (---.dyn.iinet.net.au)
Date: January 29, 2016 09:01PM

Had the same thing happen as well in a different colour tho, didn really matter but was also wondering why, size A underwrap and size D overwrap. I ended up putting it down to size A being smaller with less colour in it and size D being thicker more colour, interesting thing tho was it was wrapped on a honey colour blank and the size D was actually lighter in colour than the Size A underwrap, both in prowrap NCP 349 Merlot colour..

SG Custom Rods
Australia

Date: January 29, 2016 09:12PM

Bill,

I understand that, but CP cannot perform miracles. If you put white paint over a wall painted black, you're going to lose a shade or so with the white. So you use a second coat (like using D thread) to make the white thicker and pick the shade back up somewhat.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: January 29, 2016 11:55PM

A question on this, AS the rod is DARK IN COLOR an you put a base wrap on should that wrap be darker not lighter than the 2nd wrap ,or am I missing some thing ????????? I am just asking for some input I don't know

William Sidney
AK

Date: January 30, 2016 08:17AM

All I can tell you is that the two threads were wrapped on backgrounds of different colors. What seems like it should be may not be, other than that they came out different colors.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 30, 2016 11:33AM

One simple way to clear up the thread color situation, as listed here, is to take a scrap blank and wind on a 3 inch wrap of each color by its self on adjacent sections of the same blank.

Then, apply a coat of finish to the thread, in the same way as the original thread was coated.

If the thread is now the same color, you will know that the color differences in the picture was simply the result of wrapping one thread over the previous thread - compared to wrapping on the same background blank.

The original post stated that on the thread spool, that the thread colors were identical.

Be safe

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: January 30, 2016 12:34PM

I would say 2 different threads and 2 different dye batches.

Date: January 30, 2016 04:15PM

Randolph Ruwe Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I would say 2 different threads and 2 different
> dye batches.

I believe he said that they are the same color on the spool.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster