I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Reduction train confusion
Posted by: Wayne Clark (---.per800.wa.optusnet.com.au)
Date: December 01, 2015 09:46AM

Looking to build my first spinning rod and I am a little confused about the choke point and reduction train. I have measured up my new stradic fk 4000 and according to gps it says the choke point is at 31 inches, if i use other similar reels it comes out fairly close so i know my measurments are correct. Using kr rapid choke it puts the choke point at around 25.5 inches. Using 27x I get a choke point at 52 inches, can anyone shed light on why there is such a large difference. Also fuji say that the first guide should be around 19 to 21 inches from the reel but if i used the rapid choke measurements how do i build a reduction train in 6 inches. Any advise would be greatly appreciated on how to sort this out and how do i know what guides to order if I dont have any to do a mock up with, gps gives lots of options but im still confused about which ones to get.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Reduction train confusion
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 01, 2015 10:45AM

There are large differences because the various systems aren't designed to all do the same thing. 27X is an all-around system that will work well with about any reel/line combination. The KR Rapid Choke system is exactly that - a rapid choke which tends to work well with limp lines such as the braids. Which one will work best for your particular set up will depend largely on the type and size line you're using.

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: December 01, 2015 02:58PM

If you are using GPS and measuring your reel you will get info like a choke point at 32 inches. GPS for KR is a completely different animal. Pick one and don't mix things up. KR Concept requires the use of the KL-H guide series. If you are using KL-H stay ONLY with GPS for KR. If you are using ANY other guide frame, use ONLY GPS.

Posted by: mike quinn (---.carolina.res.rr.com)
Date: December 01, 2015 05:02PM

-------

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2015 10:03PM by mike quinn.

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.aoo.pa.atlanticbb.net)
Date: December 01, 2015 06:56PM

I have built over 20 spinning rods using the 27x method. If you are using "standard" single foot guides (ex. BYAG/BLAG's, XBYTLG/XPBFLG's, NBRLA/NBRLF's) 52" is not far off of what I usually get with my reels. Most of my choke point measurements are around 47-48-49". This method works well for me and I am a true believer in the 27X method!! If you are using the Fuji K's or the ATC microwaves use the manufacturer's instructions for that specific type of guide.

Rog

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 01, 2015 08:44PM

I have found that the original Fuji GPS program, for the new guide concept, not to be very helpful or accurate. As Roger stated above you are better off using the 27x method for placing standard spinning guides. If you want to use a KR spinning guide system the Fuji KR GPS program works very well. For example, if you have a 7' rod with a 9" total rear grip and a 4000 reel with 15 -20 braid, the rapid choke point will be about 41-42" from the spool axle tip. The stripper guide will be about 21.5 from the spool axle tip making the reduction train length about 20.5". The reduction guides are listed as KL 20h, 10h & 5.5m. The running guides could be size 5.5 or 5 or 4.5 or 4, your choice depending on whether you are using a leader or what you just like. You might need an extra running guide depending on the static test results. Once you have your guide placement train, tape the guides on a go cast the rod. It should cast very well with this set up, but do try some tweaking of the guides to get a feel for how moving guides can effect performance. This is a very good learning experience. Once you a happy with performance wrap the rod. You should remember that all guide placement charts and programs are suggestions that usually work very well but they are not written in stone, it up to you to optimize. Hope this helps.
Norm

Posted by: Wayne Clark (---.per800.wa.optusnet.com.au)
Date: December 02, 2015 07:28PM

Thanks for the info after doing some more research i have decided on kl guides 25,16,8 with the stripper at 21 inches and kt 6 running guides which could have been smaller but I am going to be using 20lb braid with 40lb flouro leader tied with pr knot, will just have to test cast to see how it goes. Once I laid out all the options on a long piece of paper it was easier to see the layout.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster