I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Decorative Wraps
Posted by: Scott Strength (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: November 29, 2015 12:56PM

When doing decorative wraps, I've seen people wrap multiple threads at the same time. Is there a trick to keeping the threads from crossing over each other? Other than just being careful.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Decorative Wraps
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 29, 2015 03:51PM

Hold them together in your fingers and find the span that allows you to lay them down evenly without them crossing. The problem area isn't so much on the wrap, but behind your point of hold, where the natural twist of the threads will tend to make them want to tangle with each other. You'll find it helpful to make sure none of the threads are doubled, i.e. you want each thread to have a free end so most any twist that takes place can come off the free end. You'll be able to understand this better once you try it.

Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: November 30, 2015 08:59AM

If you run one thread between each gap created by your fingers, and then apply tension with your thumb, just try to angle your wrist/hand/fingers/thumb so that the threads have a small gap between each one. Threads don't have to be laid tight to each other as you wrap. Just go back and position and pack the threads after you wrap a bunch.

The guys I know who knock out a closed wrap in a couple of hours might lay 10+ threads down with gaps between each and every one before pausing to go back and position and pack.

Posted by: John Ashburn (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: November 30, 2015 10:23AM

Hi Scott

What Tom said, but I do one other thing to help eliminate the twisting and tangling. I cut the thread to length ( a bit oversized) for each run rather than leaving it on the spool. That lets the ends free to untwist as you run them through your fingers.

Depending on the wrap and the thread I am using I find I can wrap up to about 6 to 8 strands per run without problems. Be sure to inspect and pack after each run.

Hope this helps

John Ashburn

Date: November 30, 2015 11:58AM

You definitely need to cut the threads from the spool. The tag end needs to be free.

Posted by: jim jackson (129.81.221.---)
Date: November 30, 2015 01:10PM

one other hint, as you wrap, when it's time to slide your fingers down the threads so you can wrap more, with your off hand, pin the already wrapped threads down onto the blank, and hold the uwrapped threads very lightly as you move your hand down the threads, then regrip those, reapply tension, unpin the threads with your off hand, continue wrapping. When you pinch those threads while sliding your hand down the threads, all that back pressure causes twisty tangles. I just let the threads dangle over my fingers as i move them down the thread, then pinch them pull them tight again. you can pinch and pull

when you are separating different colors, and they cannot cross over, you can use a comb. However, if you have a 5 thread band of one color, a few crossovers will not be evident in the final product (and in fact, where they cross over, there is a good chance that will covered anyway).

Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: November 30, 2015 01:24PM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You definitely need to cut the threads from the
> spool. The tag end needs to be free.
>
> ..............

Why is it a 'definite"? Maybe I'm misunderstanding. Are you saying it's a must to pre-cut before laying threads or after?

If your talking about pre-cutting it's certainly optional. I don't pre-cut threads. None of the top wrappers I know pre-cut their threads unless there is a very specific design element reason to do so. Are we all wrong?

If this is really a problem for you and you are struggling with your technique try this: Make a full pass up/down and then cut your threads, straighten them out, and start again. Keep the thread uncut during the wind up/down - don't precut it. The reason threads curl between your hand and the spools in the first place is because the tension we apply to the threads "unwinds" the natural twist the manufacturer's designed into the thread. When you pre-cut the threads your encouraging the cut ends of the threads to unwind; this is not desirable.

Instead, learn how to wrap uncut threads by practicing how to work with uncut threads. Keep your thumb close to the blank (to minimize the length of the unwind effect), apply the correct pressure (if you get a lot of twisting your probably pulling too hard), avoid sharp thread direction changes as the thread passes through your hand (adjust your wrist, hand, and fingers - be conscious of the thread pathing inside your hand), and learn how to "catch up and straighten" the thread as you make your turns and reverse wrap directions.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2015 01:43PM by John E Powell.

Date: November 30, 2015 03:42PM

If you do not cut the threads from the spools, the twist that can occur behind your fingers can build to a point that creates kinks and knots. If the tag ends are free this won't happen. I'm not exactly a beginner when it comes to decorative wrapping. Those who are may benefit from this advice.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2015 03:54PM by Tom Kirkman.

Posted by: Ed Sabatini (---.leaseweb.com)
Date: November 30, 2015 03:52PM

Some cut and some do not. But the best way to find out which way works best for you is to try both! I ended up learning to cut my threads to length and then some and run them with the far ends free. Not only did it reduce twist and tangles but allowed me to work with less spools of thread on hand. I have wrapped eight bands of a single color at one time and if you do not cut the strands then you need eight spools of the same color thread. To each his own but I prefer cutting my threads instead of working from the spool/s... I also tried a comb but go too many tangles up against the teeth as the threads twisted together. The little Clemens tool with a brass tube and holed end cap was even worse! Try both and see which way is easier for you.

Date: November 30, 2015 03:57PM

Another good point about the number of individual spools needed.

Posted by: Scott Strength (---.genesco.com)
Date: December 01, 2015 08:53AM

Thanks for all the feedback! I'll just keep practicing. It does seem a little more difficult for me doing it with metallic threads.

Posted by: John Ashburn (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: December 03, 2015 11:16PM

Scott

If you continue to have issues send me a PM. I believe you have the email address.

John Ashburn

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster