I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

tip sections need butt section
Posted by: phil mccartney (---.fuse.net)
Date: November 29, 2015 03:02AM

I have two tip sections for an old Fenwick World Class fly rod that are for a 9 1/2 foot rod. ( The line weight is probably 8 or 9. ) They came from an @#$%& purchase along with the wrong butt section. I have been unable to find a matching World Class butt section through Fenwick or other sources. I'd like to create a butt section for use with these tip sections by using pieces of blanks from scrapped rods that I bought to practice my rod building skills with. Is this project likely to be doomed because matching the inner taper on the tip sections with a section of blank that was not meant for the tips is asking to break something ?

I have also not yet tried to match the butt section that the tip sevtions came with to any tip sections of my salvaged blanks.

I'd appreciate any ideas for putting these sections into good use.

Phil

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: tip sections need butt section
Posted by: Chris Herrera (---.sub-70-199-128.myvzw.com)
Date: November 29, 2015 05:35AM

Phil,

I'm sure you'll get a bunch of varying thoughts on this, but here's my experience:

I've done exactly what you described, several times, and had great success. You just need to match the taper as close as possible. It's not necessary to match the length, but I would try to match material, although I've seen some really nice graphite/fiberglass hybrids that worked quite well.

Take care,

Chris

Date: November 29, 2015 12:20PM

Thanks for letting me know that someone has had some success doing what occuried to me.

I wonder if there are methods for measuring the inner taper of a blank. One idea that came to me is to use drill bits.

A bit that enters the tip section to a depth of 2 1/2 inches and another bit that just enters the tip section should yield helpful information about the taper.

Any other thoughts ?

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mthmcmta01.res.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: November 29, 2015 12:41PM

Another thought is to find a butt section that would work with the tip
and just fabricating a solid glass "spigot" to slip inside the Female tip ferrule.
You can sand from a larger OD to fit inside the butt section and then sand again to match the ID of the tip ferrule.
Might need to have it made up so the "spigot" slides into the butt section from the top down,
instead of from the bottom up.
And then epoxy in the butt.
And your drill bit idea is good, actually anything that would give you the ID sizing.
That way you can use within reason any butt section that you feel will compliment the tip section,
not being concerned with the "taper" of the butt section.

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Date: November 29, 2015 02:36PM

Thanks Ron ! Your idea sounds really good.

Phil

Posted by: Michael Danek (172.79.54.---)
Date: November 29, 2015 05:22PM

Man, we have some talented folks on this forum.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster