I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

All American Spiral rollers
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 26, 2015 10:26AM

Any one here use these guides on a rod I got a real heavy tuna stick and the guy wants them ??
When I tried placing them as per instructions when there is no pressure on the line it hits the blank between #2 - 3 guides and the first 180 guide it lays at the base of the frame Don't like the line rubbing that frame Have to play - but -
The blank is a heavy one 1" OD at the butt 6' 5" at tip to end of the blank Seams to need another guide Got to play and see if I space it more at the butt if I can get the line to lay better
I would rather use the butt roller and tip and then ring SIC Fuji guides
Wondering if three of the butt rollers would work better
Two butt rollers In all six guides and tip

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/2015 10:29AM by bill boettcher.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: All American Spiral rollers
Posted by: Tony Childs (---.midland.speednetllc.com)
Date: December 02, 2015 08:50PM

I bought a set to play with them for SS wireline diver rods. Ran into the same issue you found. SS wire rubbing on any blank is a no go.

Date: December 03, 2015 10:51AM

Got to play with them But think I may go for another transition guide Going to let the line tell me where the guides should be and just re space them Owner has to have them ??

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: December 03, 2015 01:19PM

Bill,

Any chance you could talk this guy into a set of the HD Fuji RB/HB guides with Silicon Nitride rings, spiral wound, and then finish it off with one of Strada Bay's Rota-Tip 360s? Does your customer know the All American roller tip doesn't swivel on the tube to follow the wire and fish? The Rota-tip can under mount and it swivels.

You could maybe use the three legged RB in the spiral area and the HB might work as runners in this super duty scenario because they're underneath the rod.

By the way, have no experience with the RB/HB so not sure it's a reasonable recommendation, I'm just basing this on my experience with the lighter HN guides and Rota-tips.

Date: December 03, 2015 02:12PM

John
Thanks for that info I will check them out - but he wants those guides ??? I would have gone a roller butt and rings then a roller top at the 180 But he wants the spirals Go figure

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: December 04, 2015 08:00AM

Bill,

I'd share your finding with him that on this particular blank the line pathing over the rollers and through the frames is funky, then check to see if he still wants you to go down that route. if so, I'd have him sign off in writing...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster