I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pac Bay: Rainforest 2 + Tradition Series input
Posted by: Tom Lusis (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: November 26, 2015 09:44AM

Hello all. I'm looking for some input about the differences between these two types of blanks.

More specifically, the differences between the two nine foot, seven weight blanks. The Rainshadow 2 model number is RF2F907-4. The Tradition Series model number is T2F907-4. Both have essentially the same specs in terms of weight, tip size, rod action etc.

I want to build a rod for smallmouth and largemouth bass. My 11 year old daughter has taken an interest in fly fishing so I am looking for a blank which is durable and can take some knocks here and there.

Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Pac Bay: Rainforest 2 + Tradition Series input
Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: November 26, 2015 12:12PM

I have built on a lot of T2 and Rainforest blanks - more spinning and casting, but some fly too. There seems to be a little bit of difference in feel, but not much, but I also feel there is an edge in durability in the T2 line.

These are some very over-looked and under rated blanks.

I'd suggest the T2 version.

Thanks - Marc

Keep it simple - that's all I can handle!

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 26, 2015 01:04PM

Just a comment.........a 7wt 9ft rod is pretty heavy for an 11 year old girl! Might make for a tiring experience.

Date: November 26, 2015 03:34PM

Fair enough re the weight of the rod. The only thing is she is now on a fly tying kick and producing some pretty big flies. I was originally thinking about a 8 foot 6 weight but wasn't sure if it would be able to cast the bigger flies.

Date: November 26, 2015 03:40PM

Marc, did you notice a difference in the rod action? Both are listed as medium-fast.

Thanks
Tom.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.56.39.---)
Date: November 27, 2015 10:38AM

Traditions is IM6, Rainforest IM7.

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com)
Date: November 27, 2015 11:05AM

Tom,
I agree with the concern of a 9 foot 7 weight , that Phil mentioned, for an 11 year old.
A 6-1/2 to 7-1/2 foot med light spinning blank should throw an 8 weight without wearing out a pre-teen.
The extra rod length is a real arm work out.
A shorter rod will enable a much quicker stroke without the physical strength requirement.
Even for trout fishing for children with 4 and 5 weight rods I tend to limit length to 8 feet. It makes the fishing more relaxed and easier, to increase enjoyment. Fishing shouldn't be work unless you need it to be.
I'm getting older and my 9 foot 8 weights are too much like work. An 8 foot 8 weight can accomplish as much distance without the elbow aches I now get through over-exertion. The fishing is more pleasurable.

Gene

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 27, 2015 11:13AM

Teach her how to ty smaller flys for a lighter rod or she may not stay with it cause it is to hard to fish ??

Bill - willierods.com

Date: November 27, 2015 12:27PM

Thanks for the suggestion Gene. I have an older Loomis GL3 P8400-B, popping rod 7'0" 6-12 line, 1/4-1/2 lures. Do you think it would make a good candidate for what you recommended?

Bill, she has a 7" 4 weight for her main rod and uses it for panfish, chubs, shiners etc. She's into tying bigger flies now so I wanted an outfit which she could use for "trophy" fish.

Date: November 27, 2015 12:44PM

Forgot to mention the Loomis would be stripped down and rebuilt as a fly rod.

Date: November 27, 2015 01:14PM

So she knows have to fly fish and use a fly rod -- That is very different

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com)
Date: November 27, 2015 01:31PM

Tom,
If you have a fly shop nearby you can ask to try "take off " lines on the rod.
These are lines that have been replaced by the shop and may be used for teaching on grass or determining the correct line weight for the rod.
Just thread the lines through the guides without a reel until she tells you this is the casting sweet spot.
You then know what line will work best with the rod you wish to use.
If the line is a 7 or 8 weight you're in the correct range for the larger more wind resistant bass flies.
If the blank folds when casting use a lighter line, If the rod doesn't respond or is too difficult to cast try a heavier line.

The fish determines the flies
The fly determines the line weight
The line weight determines the rod blank

Gene

Posted by: joseph arvay (107.77.89.---)
Date: November 27, 2015 07:28PM

Tom Lusis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
She's
> into tying bigger flies now so I wanted an outfit
> which she could use for "trophy" fish.

Tom, either one of your original PacBay ideas will work nicely for what she's likely cranking out at the vise. Folks fear 9' blanks for various reasons, but for slinging big stuff they keep the fly high and off the back of one's head. They are really not heavy, even for an 11 year old, especially when compared to the amount of work trying to cast bigger offerings on shorter blanks. Long sticks are quite forgiving in this area, most noticeably in the beginning of a cast before there is much line out.

Build her a 9'...if she doesn't take to it, you've got a nice rod for yourself (and it'll be hers, later). Chances are, she'll see the advantage in short order when trying to cast those new flies.

Date: November 27, 2015 08:13PM

if you have any friends - fly shops around your area that will let her cast a 7 - 8 wt rod to see how she likes it

Then again what are these Trophy Fish What are you or does she expect to go and catch

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: November 28, 2015 09:35PM

Actions between the two are generally pretty close. Because of this I stick to T2 mostly these days.

Thanks - Marc

Keep it simple - that's all I can handle!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster