I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

problem, last thread of chevrons
Posted by: John Shear (199.19.250.---)
Date: November 23, 2015 03:55PM

Hi folks. Since starting this hobby a couple years ago I've done quite a few chevron style wraps and seem to have the same problem all the time.
I wrap one thread at a time because I like the intersections to form a nice line, as opposed to the jagged look of bands of threads. As I go up and down, the last thread locks down the previous threads and I keep them packed tight as I go.
The problem is at the end. The last thread won't stay tight against the previous threads. Where the previous 2 threads crossed there's a little hump and the last thread seems to slide away from the hump and won't stay tight to the previous threads.
Is this a common issue? Is it a tension problem?

John Shear
Chippewa Falls, WI

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: problem, last thread of chevrons
Posted by: Ross Pearson (---.dlth.qwest.net)
Date: November 23, 2015 05:46PM

Try wrapping over the completed pattern with size D thread under high tension and then push in on the D thread to pack the last pattern thread tightly to the rest of the pattern. Allow the wrap to set for awhile and then remove the D thread before continuing the tie-off end wraps.

Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: November 24, 2015 08:02AM

This is common, especially when the outside thread is a metallic thread. Simply wrap a temporary band of two sacrificial threads outside your last thread, pack and position your threads, apply a first coat of color preserver and let it dry, remove the sacrificial bands of thread, then apply your second coat of CP. Your outside design threads will be nice and tight.

Posted by: John Shear (199.19.250.---)
Date: November 25, 2015 01:28PM

Such simple solutions. Thanks guys.
I would think applying CP then removing the two sacrificial threads would leave a white line of dried CP where the threads used to be. Must work well though, if you gents do it.

John Shear
Chippewa Falls, WI

Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: November 30, 2015 09:05AM

John Shear Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Such simple solutions. Thanks guys.
> I would think applying CP then removing the two
> sacrificial threads would leave a white line of
> dried CP where the threads used to be. Must work
> well though, if you gents do it.

I have not experienced this, but I suppose if you apply too heavy a 1st coat that could happen. In any event, once dried it should not be "white". And by the way I don't thin CP I use it as the MFG designed it straight from the bottle.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2015 03:25PM by John E Powell.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 30, 2015 10:11AM

Some CPs need to be thinned or right out of the bottle they dry with a whitish tint

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster