I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Expo Seminar
Posted by: Roger Rierson (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: November 23, 2015 09:15AM

I see the subject of epoxy finish come up a lot on the forum. Just a suggestion here but maybe a seminar on the subject at the 2016 Expo could be worked in. That would be one i definite would attend.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Expo Seminar
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 23, 2015 09:36AM

I've been asked about that for many years but there is almost nothing to show. A 20-second visual on coating a guide wrap?

Almost everything else is about what to do. Epoxy finishing is more about what not to do. There just isn't anything to it. Nothing to show. No flaming, no tricks, etc. The less you do the better the finish will turn out.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: November 23, 2015 10:38AM

Hello Everyone.

Tom, what about taking to one of the Epoxy MFR about setting up a loop video of an epoxy application at their booth or maybe at the ticket counter or rod display area, just looped around & around?

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Date: November 23, 2015 10:50AM

Again, you're talking about a 20 second loop. There just isn't anything to show. Ralph O'Quinn used to present such a presentation. About the only thing he added is the use of a spatula instead of a brush and he applied it while the rod was spinning.

I'll most likely add a video to the RodMaker Youtube channel at some point but finishing is just so terribly simple that when most see it done they can't believe that you don't need to poke, prod, brush, heat, etc. So they move on to a more extensive, difficult procedure and continue to wonder why they can't get a nice finish job on their wraps.

Posted by: Todd R. Vivian (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: November 23, 2015 01:01PM

This is one of the biggest problems in our classes. We get students that watch some videos prior to attending and think they have to work the Epoxy instead of letting it work for them. Largest problem hands down is applying finish.

Todd

Regards,
Todd Vivian
Mud Hole Custom Tackle

todd@mudhole.com

Posted by: gary Marquardt (141.211.151.---)
Date: November 23, 2015 02:41PM

Gotta agree with Todd and Tom. the biggest mistake feel is that people want to mess around with the epoxy too much. mix according to directions. let the bubbles dissipate. apply. rotate until set/cured. if need be repeat. That's it. I've tried heating/flaming/warming/thinning etc. that's when problems arise.
Someone brought in a rod this past weekend with a terrible finish. and asked what went wrong. They had thinned and heated. I showed them one i had done 3 plus years ago and the out of the bottle finish looked as good as the day it was made.

Posted by: Get Bit Outdoors.Com (---.biz.bhn.net)
Date: November 23, 2015 06:03PM

We would be glad to send out a free How to DvD, applying finish can be a major headache but with a few simple pointers it becomes a very easy process. We are happy to help, please don't hesitate to call and we will send one out for free. [www.getbitoutdoors.com]

Tight Lines and Bull's-eyes,

Get Bit Outdoors
407-542-7840
www.GetBitOutdoors.com
www.facebook.com/GetBitOutdoors

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: November 23, 2015 06:37PM

a video on what to do would last 20 seconds..a video on what not to do would be very lengthy

Date: November 24, 2015 10:32AM

On second thought I think I will add a finishing seminar to the line up. Maybe watching just how simple it is, no matter that it'll be a pretty short seminar, will help a lot of people out. We can certainly add some Q&A to the session to go through specific problems that many builders have when finishing.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: November 28, 2015 07:07AM

Thanks for posting that Tom. When I first started delving into working on fishing rods, it was simply replacing the guides on a few of my factory rods. I used the same procedure that your video just showed, and the finish, albeit being thicker than what I now shoot for, turned out flawlessly.

It wasn't until I wanted thinner coats of finish on my wraps than what my first wraps had, that I started to run into problems. All of the problems related to the poking and prodding and trying to brush the finish on that you've alluded to in many threads concerning this topic.

I still have some trouble getting the proper amount of finish on the brush from time to time, but I've learned my lesson. Put it on and leave it alone. This video just enforces that lesson learned.

Thanks again for posting it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster