I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Drying Station
Posted by: Alistair Mangion (---.access.maltanet.net)
Date: November 22, 2015 02:29PM

Hi guys, following the problems that I was having with finish in Winter (attributing my problems to low temperatures), I have built like a Drying Station in my basement using Heat Lamps strategically located over the turning rod. The lamps can be lowered up / down very easily using light brackets normally used for reptile terrariums. It really works nice and I can control the temperature based on the distance of the lamp from the finish, and based on the power of the lamps used. Given that I can now control the parameters, I have two questions: (a) what temperature would you aim at for the curing period ? and (b) for how long would you keep the rod in the warm area ?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Drying Station
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 22, 2015 02:35PM

80 degrees F for 10 -15 hours

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 22, 2015 06:08PM

10 - 15 hours I have my finish on in the winter even open the front door for the first hour or so
Then shut it let the place warm up I like it to stay wet and flow
That stuff should be ready and dry to the touch in 5 maybe 6 hours to take it off the dryer

But then I do thin my high build for a more of a thin or light build finish

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2015 06:11PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: November 23, 2015 10:45AM

Like Roger, I maintain about 80 degrees Fahrenheit in my curing box for epoxy finishes. I find it gives a nice consistent balance between finish quality (leveling, adequate time for micro-bubbles to release, etc.) and curing speed. My heat source is thermostatically controlled and my actual temperature range fluctuates between about 78 - 83 degrees Fahrenheit during the cure. I chose this temperature because I recall reading somewhere that for every 10 degree Fahrenheit increase curing time is halved. I maintain my shop area at about 70 degrees Fahrenheit so I can usually apply finish before 10AM or so and the rods will be set up enough before dinner time that they no longer require rotation or monitoring. It works well for me, so I never tried another temperature.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster