I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Microwaves on Casting?
Posted by: Donald Becker (---.hawaiiantel.net)
Date: November 26, 2015 05:09PM

Michael Danek Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I really don't think many of the custom builders
> here or their customers are using poor quality
> reels.

Quality was not the best choice of words. Quality is often confused with dollar value. The best one I heard in the recent past was "You can tell it's a quality reel by its weight."
I did spell out the need for centrifugal and magnetic brakes.

> Yes, many people use FC line as the main line on baitcasters.

My curiosity got the best of me and I again reviewed the Fuji video. It was clearly stated that "Stiff FC" was used in the KR spinning reel section. No mention of the line used was made in the bait casting section. If it was FC, it would certainly amplify the outcome.

From Yahoo Answers:
"With fishing line, "memory" means how much the line remembers how it was bent by being wrapped on a spool or a reel. It's not a good thing. Cheap or old monofilament will "remember" the shape of the spool, so if there's a little slack in the line, it won't hang straight, it'll go out in a spiral. Higher quality monofilament will hang almost perfectly straight, and braided line has no memory at all.

High memory line cuts down on casting distance, it's prone to kinking and twisting, and can increase the chance of backlashes (for baitcasting and conventional reels). It also reduces sensitivity when you're working a small bait. Low memory line does better in all those areas. "

From the Berkley website:
"Manageability—Fluorocarbon is stiffer and has more memory than mono and superlines, making it the least manageable fishing line. However, advancements in spoolable options such as Berkley Trilene 100% Fluorocarbon have made today's premium fluoros far more well-behaved than their forerunners, so this is a minor consideration, provided the line is paired with an appropriately-sized reel and you don't over-fill the spool."

As can be seen from the above, although improvements have been made to FC, for casting it is still less desirable than mono.

From my experience, the better casting monofilament for casting is:
Maxima
Berkley Big Game
Momoi
Ultima
Sakuma (a favorite among distance casters)
Berkley ProSpec seems nice. I did pick up a spool to see how it works out,

Don Becker

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Michael Danek (172.79.54.---)
Date: November 26, 2015 10:15PM

I didn't say FC casted as well as others; all I said is that many use it. I really don't think many of the custom builders
here or their customers are using poor quality
reels. Still don't.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: November 27, 2015 01:45AM

While I still don't understand why a reel's quality was brought up in this discussion, I'll ask a question? Wouldn't one have to define what they believe a quality reel is? I'm sure it varies based on the individual. For instance, just because a reel has a centrifugal braking system, doesn't mean it's a quality reel. Nor does having both a centrifugal and magnetic braking system mean it's a quality reel.

In fact, only one of what would be considered Shimano's high performance reels, has a magnetic braking system. The others use a centrifugal system, only. At least those that are available to the US market. And many of those would qualify as being "quality reels" in most anglers books.

The line the reel is handling was brought up in this discussion, and rightly so. The line being used affects the potential performance of both the reel it's being used on,, and the guide train of the rod it's mounted on.

And just for the record, unless a certain class of baits require the use of a line that floats, or if I need a super high strength no stretch line for very heavy cover situations, I use fluorocarbon line on every one of my rods. Spinning rods included. Fluorocarbon line is not the devil.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster