I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

ALPS Chuck and tool rest with mandrel
Posted by: Joseph Renfroe (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: November 20, 2015 10:11PM

Good evening I am planning on purchasing a ALPS Chuck, i was wondering if this will have the power to turn cork and eva or should I just purchase a seperate lathe i wont be doing this alot just here and there. also is the pac bay tool rest and mandrel enough or should I just get the Alps tool rest as well as the mandrle as well just getting started dont want to spend money and have to upgrade.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ALPS Chuck and tool rest with mandrel
Posted by: Jay McKnight (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: November 21, 2015 08:29AM

If you have the space for it, why not pick up awood lathe first and try it? Lots of used ones for sale, and fairly easy to get your money back out of it later if it doesn't work out.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 21, 2015 08:34AM

Joseph,
If you want to turn materials, the very best thing to do; is to purchase a new or used wood lathe.

Simply put, any of the wrappers use relatively small motors. Wrappers tend not to have the best tail stock set up that really helps in various types of turning activities.

If you can't afford - or don't want to buy new -- it is possible to find quality used equipment. Check want ads, pawn shops, used tool shops ets.

Another possible vendor for equipment:
[www.harborfreight.com]

--
You use the word Alps Chuck. Is this chuck going to be put on a machine that you already have; or are you planning on purchasing an entire machine?

Be safe

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.opera-mini.net)
Date: November 21, 2015 10:15AM

Yes this will work - especially if you plan on only doing a little / few handles in cork or foam (hypalon). If you are planning to use a mandrel this will also work but you'll have to consider the diameter of the mandrel & plan on building up smaller / thinner mandrels so they clamp tightly in the jaws. Of equal concern for you will be to adequately support the piece being turned & anchor any light duty (American Tackle / PacBay/ALPS) machine to avoid wobble

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: November 21, 2015 10:53AM

The Alps chuck is an outstanding product and is capable of turning stock on the AT/Pac Bay /Alps lathe. The big concern I would have is that it is turning in the wrong direction for turning. Unless you have a unit that can reverse the direction of the material you are not going to be able to properly/ easily turn material on that type of lathe. That is unless you can set your tool rest on the other side of the lathe of which I am not sure if that can be done on the Alps tool rest. From the photos I have seen it may be able to do so.

And as others have said a simple good used lathe is an excellent option for turning.

Posted by: Grant Darby (---.wavecable.com)
Date: November 21, 2015 02:59PM

Turning cork and EVA is almost always just sanding. I have probably a couple of hundred hours of sanding and shaping both materials on the Pac Bay machine and as many on my CPW. Replaced drive belts a couple of times. A wood lathe is nice (I have one of those as well) but you won't "need" it for the majority of work you'll do with those two materials. The material you sand with is the important thing.

Posted by: Garry Thornton (---.natsow.res.rr.com)
Date: November 21, 2015 04:09PM

I have a lathe, but wouldn't buy one again unless I wanted to turn wood. A couple of years ago I turned square blocks of cork and EVA on the lathe but found it messy and wasteful. Since I seldom use full handles anymore, I now use the Alps set-up for my handle work.

If you are planning to use chisels, you'll need a tool rest. If you're turning handles on a mandrel, you'll need a tail stock.
When I do use tools with the Alps winder, I just turn the machine around so that it turns the right way. However, for the 2 to 4-inch grips and butts I use on split grip rods, I glue up my stacks of cork rings on 1/4 - 20 bolts from the hardware store. Next day, I clamp the bolt in the chuck, and sand them down. That way I don't need tools or mandrels and the fact the chuck naturally turns the wrong way is mute.

I have thought about buying the new Alps tool rest, and perhaps the tail stock, for the odd time I might want to use a chisel or need a steady rest.

Posted by: Get Bit Outdoors.Com (---.biz.bhn.net)
Date: November 23, 2015 05:58PM

Alps Chuck is a great way to go, turning cork and eva is a breeze in addition to being a much smoother/truer chuck for general wrapping. We have them in stock. Keep and eye out for our Black Friday Sale coming up this week. ;)

Tight Lines and Bull's-eyes,

Get Bit Outdoors
407-542-7840
www.GetBitOutdoors.com
www.facebook.com/GetBitOutdoors

Posted by: Ryan McBride (---.wavecable.com)
Date: November 24, 2015 10:15AM

The ALPS Chuck was intended to do exactly what your asking for. A lathe would be nice, but it really depends on how much turning your planning on doing. Also there is tools to add to the ALPS Chuck for turning as well. [alpsforecast.com]

R. McBride

Batson Enterprises
BatsonEnterprises.com | RainShadowRodBlanks.com | ALPSForeCast.com | Build2Fish.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster