I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

shine on
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: November 19, 2015 11:47AM

To my great good fortune I found a canned spray paint which nicely matches the original color of a painted blank - on the first try! The chief difference now is the old paint is glossier, although the new repair was made with gloss paint. What will be best to buff up the new paint to match the gloss of the old: polishing compound, rotten stone, Bartender's Friend, toothpaste? You can probably tell I don't want to spend much money.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: shine on
Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: November 19, 2015 11:50AM

Perhaps just an accent wrap to separate the two colors?

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 19, 2015 01:50PM

Phil,
White buffing compound on a soft buffing wheel on a buffer will work very very well.

[www.harborfreight.com]

Or, you can chuck this buffing wheel into a variable speed drill:

[www.harborfreight.com]

Here is the white buffing compound that works well for rods and plastic.

[www.harborfreight.com]

With the buffing wheel spinning - hold the polishing compound stick onto the buffing wheel. This will deposit buffing compound uniformly onto the wheel.

Then, start buffing and as needed wipe with a clean cloth to check on progress, and if necessary, add more compound to the wheel.

Start with a very gentle touch, until you see how it is going. If necessary, you can increase the pressure of the spinning wheel onto the rod if more vigorous buffing is needed.

Be safe

Date: November 19, 2015 03:38PM

Thanks, Roger. I will do as you have advised.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 19, 2015 05:07PM

When doing this you are taking material off So if you you have a thin coat you may be better just doing it buy hand and not a machine

Bill - willierods.com

Date: November 19, 2015 05:58PM

This blank is an unsanded fiberglass blank. Should I buff parallel to the axis of the blank or in a rotary motion parallel to the whorls around the blank?

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: November 19, 2015 11:40PM

get a old rod an try it on that blank to get the feel of what is going on just an IDEA but it should work I think
if you don't have a broken rod use an old one that don't count , it will not hurt the rod an it will not care

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: November 19, 2015 11:40PM

get a old rod an try it on that blank to get the feel of what is going on just an IDEA but it should work I think
if you don't have a broken rod use an old one that don't count , it will not hurt the rod an it will not care

William Sidney
AK

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster