I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Options to "coat" a rod
Posted by: Brent Schneider (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: November 17, 2015 02:29AM

Hey everyone. I have some of the older, original GLoomis IM6 models of rods. These rod blanks have a Burgundy "paint" and a clear coat over it. Mine have become so chipped and flaking that I have removed all the coatings (and guides to replace with nicer / modern guides). It was very easy to do with just my fingernail. It is now down to the naked graphite blank. I would prefer to not put on additional cleat coat like PermaGloss or similar, if I don't have to. Is there something I can just Polish the blank with after I wrap and coat the guides? I say after wrapping and coating because I don't want any Polish to contaminate my thread coating.
What are your thoughts?
Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Options to "coat" a rod
Posted by: Chris Herrera (---.sub-70-199-137.myvzw.com)
Date: November 17, 2015 07:50AM

Hi Brent,

You can use Pledge furniture polish. Reapply as needed.

Take care,

Chris

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 17, 2015 08:30AM

One the thread coating is cured or dried, you can't contaminate it.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 17, 2015 09:14AM

Brent,
Since you have the blank stripped, I would just use my buffer with polishing compound to buff and polish the blank before starting any wrap.

Buffing polishing compound is actually a grade of abrasive that leaves a nice polished finish with no wax or any thing on the blank. It leaves a very nice finish.

If you don't have a buffer, you can buy a small buffing wheel that fits into a drill and just buy a small stick of the white polishing compound and you will be good to go.

I have done quite a few of my older stripped rods this way, and I quite like the appearance. Make sure that when you are doing the buffing, that the buffer wheel is buffing the length of the blank, in a direction from the butt to the tip.

If you go cross blank, the wheel can catch on the blank and cause issues. If you have the wheel so that it is polishing toward the butt of the blank, the wheel can catch on the finer tip and create issues.

This is much easier to do on the bare stripped blank, than trying to work around guides and or grip.

[www.eplastics.com]

Notice the buffing compounds - labeled for "acrylic and plastic" work very well for fishing rods.

Be safe

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 17, 2015 12:18PM

If you are happy with the way the blank looks now, coat of wax as mentioned above is all you need.

Posted by: Brent Schneider (---.sub-70-214-9.myvzw.com)
Date: November 17, 2015 01:59PM

Chris, thank you. Pledge was one of my thoughts too.

Tom, I understand the contamination issue which is why I mentioned doing the wraps and coating before trying a polish. Maybe I was not clear about that. Thanks again.

Roger, thanks for your rubbing compound idea. You are sure that this will not cause contamination issues if done before wrapping and coating?

Phil, thanks for the reply. When you say "wax", were you referring to Chris's idea of using Pledge after wrapping and coating is dried?

Thanks again all.

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: November 17, 2015 03:03PM

Carnuba wax works very well too.
Available at any autoparts dealer.

Date: November 17, 2015 04:51PM

I was not thinking of Pledge, but understand it works well. I use Mothers Custom Car wax on all my finished rods.

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 17, 2015 09:18PM

Brent, Stay away from any and all polishes, wax's. If you want to polish the raw blank before wrapping just take a plain brown paper bag(a lunch bag) and rub the blank with it. The corseness of the paper bag is equal to a finishing sandpaper grit of 2500 which is used as a final abrasive for a mirror finish on painted surfaces and top coated sealers. This should be done before wrapping the blank.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2015 09:22PM by Dennis Danku.

Posted by: Chris Herrera (---.sub-70-199-137.myvzw.com)
Date: November 18, 2015 01:51AM

Dennis,

He did say he wanted to polish the blank after he put on and finished the guides. Hence the wax and polish recommendations.

Take care,

Chris

Posted by: Brent Schneider (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: November 18, 2015 03:08AM

Thanks guys. Yes, as Chris stated, I was looking for a protective finish after coating the wraps and did not want to do a clear coat on the blank. Thanks again guys. I will try the "wax" after the thread coating cures.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 18, 2015 10:46AM

Many companies make blanks without any coating at all so not to worry

Bill - willierods.com

Date: November 18, 2015 05:20PM

Dennis, you need to read the original posts more thoroughly! He said AFTER the wrap and epoxy. Making a blanket statement to "stay away from polishes and waxes is very misleading!

Waxing a finished rod provides a bit of protection, much like the reason one waxes an automobile. It keeps materials like, mud, scum and salt from reaching the blank material itself.

I always wax and polish a finished rod before delivery to the customer, and clean and wax/polish my personal rods after each season, have been doing it for 40 years, with no negative effects on the rods, in fact many look like new.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2015 06:30PM by Phil Erickson.

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 18, 2015 10:06PM

I understand that he wanted to polish the blank after it was wrapped and the thread was coated but, he also stated that he did not want to add a finish to the blank after peeling it off with his fingernail. I just figured it would be much easy'er if the unfinished blank was dry buffed completely and then wrapped and thread coated. How do you polish an unfinished blank after its been wrapped. I stand by my statement of warning to not use wax or polish on finished rods. The finish used on rods is not the same as used on cars, after time the finish becomes stained or hazey, unless ofcourse they never come out of the house and are subjected to daylight.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: Brent Schneider (---.sub-70-197-6.myvzw.com)
Date: November 25, 2015 11:31AM

Thanks again guys.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster