I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Applying and drying epoxy to the female ferrule wrap
Posted by: Michael Cluchey (---.entouch.net)
Date: November 16, 2015 11:07AM

I am building my first two-piece Steelhead Salmon rod and unsure of the conventional way of applying and drying epoxy to the female ferrule wrap. I have some ideas of what may work however; I would appreciate some expert advice. I have put a great deal of time and effort into this rod so far and would hate to mess it up at this stage.

Thanks again for all of the past help,
Mike

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Applying and drying epoxy to the female ferrule wrap
Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: November 16, 2015 11:51AM

In the past, ferrule wraps were used to prevent ferrules from splitting. Today, ferrule technology has advanced to the point that splitting has all but been eliminated.

Today most manufacturer's recommend a ferrule wrap to protect the end of the female ferrule from being caught during handling. Most manufacturers recommend a wrap length of about 1/4". You can certainly make your wrap longer in length, but it's not necessary to do so. The thread will be protected with finish just like a guide wrap, so plan the end of your wrap so your finish extends past the end of the thread right up to the edge of the ferrule. Depending on your finish habits, the edge of your thread could be between 1/16-1/8" from the end of the ferrule.

If you will be using color preserver under your finish, you want to make sure that your finish will extend past the edge of your color preserver. So make sure you don't flood the CP past the thread all the way to the edge of the ferrule - try to soak the thread with CP without going past the edge of the thread.

Make sure your thread tension is not overly tight as too much thread tension can compress a thin wall ferrule and prevent it from seating correctly when you assemble the two sections.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 16, 2015 11:59AM

Applying epoxy to a ferrule wrap is done in exactly the same way as any normal guide wrap.

Posted by: Bruce Robb (---.gci.net)
Date: November 16, 2015 12:25PM

A tip I learned from this site is to wrap turns of masking tape around the male section right at the junction to catch any accidental epoxy overflow that might 'glue' the sections together. After you have done a few and your confidence builds you will likely eliminate this step.

Pesco Ergo Sum

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2015 12:25PM by Bruce Robb.

Date: November 16, 2015 12:37PM

I have the female ferrule wrapped, my question is, since the end cannot be chucked into a wrapper or dryer, how do most secure this section to apply and dry epoxy?

Thanks John, Tom & Bruce,
Mike

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: November 16, 2015 12:49PM

if you are looking at wrapping the ferrule ? yes some of the makers say you don't need to do it , but I still do it, makes me feel good, just in case I get a blank that was supposed to be wrapped an I did not do it , [ old blank or rebuild ] as for applying
epoxy to it , I use a wooden dowel with tape to fill the void an wax it , so the epoxy won't stick . use lots of tape to enlarge
the chuck end, with tooth picks in bedded so I can use rubber bands to in sure the unit would not come out of the chuck
during the drying faze , I had a lots of problems with it coming out of the chuck ,
I use 2 & 1/2 times the opening for the wrap length, an if a guide is near, lots of time just keep going an see if you can move the guide a little closer to the ferrule , I do a few cast as well as loading the rod to ensure it will work for me

William Sidney
AK

I failed to mention this rod is 11'6" so I cannot apply the epoxy with the male and female engaged.

Thanks again,
Mike

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)

You can insert a wooden dowel, with a little masking tape on the end of that to securely allow it to be chucked into your lathe head.

Date: November 16, 2015 12:56PM

Thanks William and Tom, the wooden dowel was my first thought, however I wanted to make sure there were no pitfalls to doing this.
Mike

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: November 16, 2015 12:57PM

use cut off from old rod or wooden dowel, or chop stick from the local store they should give a couple of them if you ask,
masking tape an wax make a tight fit in side the ferrule an not touching the ferrule edge you see an tape to fit the chuck .

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: November 16, 2015 01:47PM

Michael,

Thanks for clarifying your question. I would suggest two things to consider:

1) Make sure that you have a snug internal fit inside the ferrule to prevent it from slipping off the driveshaft (e.g. dowel, rod section) which would result in your rod to stop rotating before the epoxy has a chance to set up. This would be a mess to correct. A couple bands of tape wrapped on a smaller drive shaft will work well. Wrap and size the band of tape that will be placed more deeply into the ferule first, then use the seated position to locate a second band of tape so it rests under the ferrule end. I would have the band stick out just a bit to prevent epoxy from accidentally working over the edge and inside the ferrule. In an overflow situation, it would be easier to clean excess epoxy from the end of the ferrule rather than the inside of the ferrule.

2) To get the best finish, make sure the drive shaft you fabricate rotates the rod on its axis and doesn't revolve the rod around it's axis. A little wobble is okay (say up to a 1/8" or so), but anymore than that can contribute to something unexpected happening with your setup.

Date: November 16, 2015 03:06PM

Thanks John and thanks to everyone who has taken the time to help!

Mike

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mthmcmta01.res.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: November 16, 2015 05:53PM

Another way is to use a dowel or part of a broken rod blank that is SMALLER than the end of the ferrule.
MAke it long enough to go up inside the blank to be finished until it is snug and secure.
Force it a little to make sure it does not slip while in your turning device.
That way you can go right to the edge without worrying about the inserted material becoming "stuck" by any epoxy finish "drips"

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Date: November 16, 2015 05:58PM

Thanks Ron

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 16, 2015 08:30PM

If I can use the complete rod, I will use that.

When applying finish to a ferrule, I always put a wrap of wax paper around the smaller piece. That way, if you accidentally slip and get some epoxy on the smaller piece, you get it on the wax paper that the epoxy will not stick.

I keep a quantity of solid fiberglass pieces around. You can get these at a hardware store in the form of "driveway markers". I will cut off a piece that is 6 inches long and chuck it into the variable speed drill. Then, I will h old the spinning piece of fiberglass solid stock against my running belt or disk sander. I have the rod section handy that is the larger size. I will check the fit often, until I get the end of the solid stock nicely tapered for a nice fit into the end of the larger piece.

As I said earlier, I will then take a couple of wraps around the tapered solid stock and insert it into the larger section.

If I use my larger chuck which will not hold the smaller piece of solid stock, I just use a cork ring to hold the end. I bore the center hole of the cork ring for a tight friction fit of the solid stock into the bored out cork ring.

Then, I insert the cork ring into the chuck and it will work well.

-------------
My wrapper uses a 1/2 inch keyless industrial chuck on the end of the head stock shaft. So, when I use solid stock, I just insert them directly into the 1/2 inch keyless chuck.

When wrapping rods, I insert a 1/2 inch to 3/4 x16 shank into the keyless chuck and screw on my 3 inch taig chuck for firm holding of normal sized rod handles.

Good luck

Date: November 17, 2015 09:15AM

Thanks Roger for the extensive detail, it is very helpful to my current project and for future builds.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster