I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cork Seperation
Posted by: Joel (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 11, 2001 05:11PM

DOH, i gotta tell ya that i made a stupid mistake and took out too much material when i was reaming my cork grips. I didnt realize it until yesterday when i as playing around with it. The rod is all wrapped and im gonna put some finish on it today or tomorrow with my new homebuilt motor!! Anyho, the there is a little bit of give in the cork, not much but a little. What can i do about this with out scrapping the grip. Ahhh, all help is apperciated.

Till Later,
Joel

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cork Seperation
Posted by: Pete (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 11, 2001 06:33PM

Try shimming the blank with some thread. Make a band wherever you might need it or just make a continous wrap with maybe 1/4 inch between the winds all the way down. Choose A or D depending upon how much space you need to take up. No need to scrap the grip!

Posted by: Rick Funcik (---.dsl.stlsmo.swbell.net)
Date: November 11, 2001 07:02PM

Joel,
Pete's right about thread to fill some gaps if the handle isn't glued on yet, but it sounds like yours is glued on, and now it's rattling around? If that's the case, you have a bigger problem, no easy fix that I know of. With nothing to lose, you could try drilling a tiny hole in the cork and rigging up a hypodermic needle to inject some low-viscosity epoxy under there? Not an elegant fix at all, but you can try it. Anybody else?

Posted by: Roert Balcombe (REELMAN) (---.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: November 11, 2001 09:20PM

I would trim off 2 or 3 rings of the cork, then pack th rest of the of the cork with epoxy glue. I use rod bond. Now to replace the rings you cut off use a caliper and measure the rod where the rings go, ream the cork to that size, Now cut the rings partially in half (that is cut it so it is still together with one side cut.). Place the rings in boiling water for 3 min. the boiling water well help you spread the cork apart so you can place them around the rod make sure you use lots of glue. Now clean up all excess glue with denatured alcohol. now take radiator hose clamps (screw type) and screw them tight against the cork rings. I would use over size cork rings so when the glue dries you can sand the cork down to the original size.
Good luck Bob

Posted by: Elrod (150.199.191.---)
Date: November 12, 2001 11:00AM

Awesome idea Robert! Never thought of that. I haven't run into that situation before, but now i know a technique.

Posted by: Jim Gaskins (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 12, 2001 11:17AM

If you choose to use the syringe method put at least one extra hole to act as a vent. you can use several taping them off as the resin appears. Iv'e done this on boats to fill voids . yet to try it on a grip

Posted by: Joel (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 12, 2001 03:23PM

Thanks a bunch guys for the great tips. The problem is not huge, so i am considering the syringe method. What kind ofglue is thin enough? Will some acetone diluted epoxy, or say elmers work? Thanks again

Joel

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster