I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

newbie to building
Posted by: Robert Kelsey (---.dhcp.trcy.mi.charter.com)
Date: October 09, 2015 08:39AM

I currently have an 8ft6in and 7ft6in rods. I have been looking at mudholes wish book and have been looking at st Croix finesse rod(6ft9in) and sunset red 6ft6in 2pc. I want to careful about spending a lot of money and goof the build. any suggestions from the vets would be helpful. my son wanted to learn how to cast a flyrod and is a quick study and now I have 2 rods. I'm lovin stream fishing whether I catch fish or not.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: newbie to building
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 09, 2015 08:53AM

Check out Rod Geeks sponser on the left I think you will like them

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Will Cooper (---.parexel.com)
Date: October 09, 2015 09:06AM

Hi Robert, Check out some of the other manufacturers on mudhole/getbitoutdoors. Their CBR rods and the MXH rods are very nice and affordable. Makes botching up a build much easier on the wallet. Also keep an eye out for free shipping. Otherwise you'll be looking at about 25$ in shipping fees. Which is very much a deal breaker for alot of people.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2015 09:17AM by Will Cooper.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 09, 2015 09:11AM

As Will says check here often This is the season for sales

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: October 09, 2015 09:21AM

Robert,

There are some very good YouTube videos out there that detail the basics. The FlexCoat series comes to mind. There are others. I'd start here: [www.flexcoat.com] and here: [www.mudhole.com]

Some of the bigger suppliers in the left column of this page have "house" brands of blanks made by major mfgs but privately labeled. They're a great value for the beginner to practice on without spending a lot of money. Will's post above mentions some of the options, there are more.

Date: October 09, 2015 09:51AM

Thank you sir. I opened Wills post below mine as there was no post newer than yours and was not the same response. I'm a bit behind the curve as to computer use(wifeassisted)

Posted by: Will Cooper (---.parexel.com)
Date: October 09, 2015 09:58AM

Liberty blanks from Getbitoutdoors has some good reviews too. I just ordered one myself for my next build. I will post pics and updates as i go.

Posted by: mike quinn (---.carolina.res.rr.com)
Date: October 09, 2015 10:10AM

If you are not a computer guy and new to building then I would suggest you go to mudhole, left click on the 'rodbuilding' dropdown tab.
Now under 'components' left click on 'more'.
Left click on the third box right to left 'books & vidio'.
Left click on first box 'rodbuilding books'.
Select the first two books to buy. Book #2 will help you crawl, book #1 will help you walk.
Both books will do a great job of explaining why you want to do certain things and make you more comfortable with what you decide to buy in componets.
Also I can not stress enough how much help the Fugi website will be to you, especially in learning the alphabet soup of guides. The blog is also informative.

Posted by: Drew Longnecker (172.243.127.---)
Date: October 10, 2015 04:03PM

Robert, Where are you located? There may be someone near you that may be willing to give you a few in-person pointers if needed.

Date: October 13, 2015 09:53AM

Auburn Michigan. If there is someone willing to take the time. I have a big back yard. I'll give the rest of my info if there is anyone interested in giving me a few pointers. Of late I have been going to a local rod and fly shop and they seem to answer my question but that's all. Kinda like it is some sort of secret . I just enjoy getting back on the stream and it really doesn't matter if I catch someyhing or not..relaxing and soothing somehow. It takes me back to a time when I did fish with my dad. I even bought a split willow creel so I can line it with cedar like dad did. tearing up a bit cause we really didn't fish together much but he at least made the introduction.

Date: October 13, 2015 11:03AM

What part of Michigan is Auburn in?

Date: October 13, 2015 12:50PM

baycity midland in fact im in the middle of the two. farm town .if it was a long distance for someone to drive maybe there is stream/river in between that would make a good spot to take some of steepness out of the learning curve. it seems as though trout fishing got technical since I got back into it.

Date: October 15, 2015 05:09PM

I'm located about 30 miles North of Muskegon. It's a little late in the season for Trout, the Salmon have made their fall run and the Steelhead are about a month out. If you get over this way drop me a private email.

Date: October 18, 2015 07:59AM

Drew, I don't have a problem with a rode trip. We were at the water park not long ago and I should have found this blog earlier.. I don,t have any steelhead experience and the rod I have is an 8ft6in 5wt. I'll shoot you an email say tomorrow or so and we can talk about it. A phone call may be a better way for me so I can express myself better. I'll get back to tou soonest.

Date: October 18, 2015 08:05AM

I was thumbing through the electronic pages and came across maxxon outfitters and there flyrods and they looked pretty good and the prices were very inexpensive. Any with some knowledge of these guys and the rods, oh and graphite reels.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster