I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Liberty Blanks
Posted by: Will Cooper (---.parexel.com)
Date: October 08, 2015 06:48AM

Just curious what you guys think of these blanks? I saw an earlier post about them but there hasnt been any updates in a while.
I just picked up the P703 . Im hoping sum1 here has built on this blank and can let me know how it handles the weight range its rated for. I plan to use if for soft plastics and 5/8oz Topwater Jitterbugs for bass up to 6+lbs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2015 03:45PM by Will Cooper.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Liberty Blanks
Posted by: Jared Taylor (---.hsd1.in.comcast.net)
Date: October 08, 2015 10:13PM

Will, I haven't built on that particular blank but I have built a few of the liberty blanks...the Mag Bass series and the UL/Dropshot series. I will say this, I've built on slightly lighter overall blanks, but the swing weights on the Liberty ones are great. I think you'll enjoy it. It should have no problem handling the size fish you're after. Good luck and please keep us posted.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.56.39.---)
Date: October 09, 2015 03:15PM

Don't see that blank listed, lightest now is the P702. Notwithstanding I Don' t think 5/8 oz. lures would be a good choice seeing the P702's high end weight rating is 1/2 oz. The sweet spot for blank performance is usually in the rating mid-point, going over the upper limit usually gives you a more loblike blank response, lacking any lively response to your casting effort.

Posted by: Will Cooper (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: October 09, 2015 03:31PM

Opps sorry about that Spencer, i got the P703
[www.getbitoutdoors.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2015 03:33PM by Will Cooper.

Posted by: Chuck Blocker (---.dia.static.qwest.net)
Date: October 09, 2015 04:19PM

I have built several rods on that blank. Three for one customer who uses it for a popping rod and loves them. I built one for myself for a jerk bait rod and it really performs well. I would recommend them.

Date: October 09, 2015 05:47PM

Nice Chuck, how well does ti handle 5/8oz lures?

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: October 09, 2015 07:43PM

Fast and easy way to find out Will, slip your components on with tape or tape arbors as needed and go cast it in the yard, or park. About 15 minutes and you'll know a bunch about the blank.

Date: October 09, 2015 08:12PM

I dont know how you guys are able to cast with those micro guides taped on. I can barely keep them in place when trying to wrap, nevermind casting lol

Date: October 10, 2015 12:45PM

Got my blank today. That came in fast, especially for free shipping (2days). The blank looks great. Nice and straight and no blemishes that i can see.

My only complaint is the weight. The weight listed on the site said 1.6oz. I tried on two different scales and both came out to 1.8oz (13% heavier than advertised). Not a huge deal i know, but worth mentioning.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: October 10, 2015 01:07PM

Hello Will.

Measure the blank and see if it is just a hair long, could have been finish trimmed a little long.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Date: October 10, 2015 02:46PM

Hi Robert,

I thought that might be the case, but the blank is exactly 7'

Date: October 10, 2015 03:15PM

Hello Will.

Are the tip and butt as listed?

.2oz. is not much but when manufacturing something where weight is important enough to be listed in the sales material it should be double checked by QA before it leaves the factory.

I think all blank mfrs should check straightness, tip od, butt id/od's and total blank length.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Date: October 10, 2015 03:34PM

The butt and tip are exact to whats listed on the site.

Date: October 11, 2015 03:05PM

Hello Will.

Well it must be something in the inner wall thickness or weave density per sq. foot.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Date: October 12, 2015 05:28PM

Yah for me its not a huge deal. Just figured I would mention it for those who need the weight exact.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster