I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Graphite reel seat arbors?
Posted by: Richard Stradling (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: October 07, 2015 10:24AM

Hello All,
Future builder here, I've been building my shopping cart while looking at the oceans worth of components and ran across "Graphite reel seat arbors". Does anyone have any experience adding these to their rods and/or fishing with them. Do they add sensitivity to the system or are they more of an option/gimmick?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Graphite reel seat arbors?
Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 07, 2015 10:36AM

Richard,

I have used both the graphite and polyurethane reel seat arbors. The graphic arbors are a little hard than the polyurethane; but, I don't believe the difference in weight is significant. They both are very light. The graphic arbors are harder in composition and IMHO provide a more solid material between the reel seat and the rod blank. I prefer them. No gimmick!

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Posted by: Richard Stradling (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: October 07, 2015 10:41AM

Thank you Don!

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 07, 2015 10:51AM

Richard,
When only graphite arbor's were available, I used them. But, they are much harder and much harder to machine than the poly arbors now widely available.

The poly arbors supply plenty of strength for a reel seat and are so much easier to use, that I threw out all of the graphite arbors that I had left and now use only poly arbors.

Simply put, poly arbors work much better than nearly any other material to fill space between a blank and a reel seat that for me, it is the material of choice.

Be safe

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 07, 2015 11:37AM

What most companies now call "graphite arbors" are a rigid urethane foam type. They're quicker to install than tape arbors, lighter and more rigid and therefore they would retain more sensitivity that tape, carboard, cork, etc.

Posted by: Göran Sandberg (---.011-42-73746f21.cust.bredbandsbolaget.se)
Date: October 07, 2015 01:42PM

I'm probably old school, but I use dry wall tape. Works for me.

Posted by: Miles Miller (107.77.89.---)
Date: October 07, 2015 02:05PM

I haven't a tried the poly arbors but I think I might after reading this thread. I have mounted with masking tape but I was afraid it would spongy and I knew it wouldn't be as sensitive. I'm all for graphite arbors, I have used the two piece models and I just ordered some full 3-7/8" sized ones. Looking forward to see how they are!

Posted by: Michael Danek (192.183.51.---)
Date: October 07, 2015 02:57PM

The determining factor for me in what I use is the wall thickness I'll be dealing with, half the difference in the diameter of the blank and the inside diameter of the reel seat. If it's only about .075 or so or less I'll use masking tape. I assure you that masking tape surrounded by epoxy is anything but spongy. If the wall thickness will be larger than about .075 then I'll use the rigid foam reel seat shims. They are a piece of cake to machine and bore, and you can use extensions of them to make a light, sensitive, "ramp." They have a 1/4 inch bore and you can machine the OD by screwing a drill that is just larger than 1/4 into the bore, put the drill in a drill press, and machine with sandpaper. When the wall thickness of the shims gets too small, they are very fragile. I don't think the little grey ones get that fragile.

The Riley Rods foam in their 6# density is also very good for seat shims and ramps.

[clients.criticalimpact.com]

Posted by: Miles Miller (107.77.89.---)
Date: October 07, 2015 03:36PM

Michael that's a really good point, when I did masking tape it was at least 1/4", if not closer to 3/8" thick. I didn't glue it in place so that's probably where/when I got the spongy feel. Epoxy would change that, so you're definitely right!

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 07, 2015 04:16PM

never measured the space but I use 1/4" tape if f the tape goes around more then about 10 turns I use arbors The epoxy in between the tape unless you put them close adds weight I also prep the blank where the seat will sit so the glue will hold the seat - to the blank and the tape is to center the seat or what ever you are putting on

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Michael Danek (192.183.51.---)
Date: October 07, 2015 05:02PM

Miles, I think most builders basically encapsulate the masking tape in epoxy. Using that much tape is going to be heavier than the foam. I've never had a foam seat shim fail. I also make sure there is epoxy all around them, too.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster