I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Stripping old blanks
Posted by: Danny Davis (---.sub-70-197-132.myvzw.com)
Date: October 06, 2015 07:47PM

Hello everyone.
I'm looking for the path of least resistance here. I've got 4 old customs that desperately need guides and some over all tlc. Normally, I'd jump right in and strip them, but these are old ugly stick style blacks. No finish on the black from the factory, and the blanks were fully coated from the late Jesse Buky.

I want to reuse the blanks, but if it would be less of a pain I'll get new blanks. The ones on hand are identical to the ugly stick bWB 1130 blank, I also want to add slick butts this go around. Jesse had a closet full of these blanks, but he passed a few years back, and I don't know where to,source new ones from.

This will be my winter project, so time isn't really an issue.

Thanks in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Stripping old blanks
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 06, 2015 08:13PM

Knowing Jesse, he coated them with Flex Coat finish epoxy and it will be a major pain to strip them. Best bet is to scrape it off (scrape not slice) but that will take a good amount of effort and time. I can't advise on a paint remover type coating that will do much with epoxy. Perhaps someone else will chime in.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 07, 2015 09:44AM

Have a supply of straight edge razor blades on hand.
Have a good heat gun on hand as well.

Use the heat gun to heat the coating. When the finish has softened a bit, use the razor blade - held at 90 degrees to the blank, to scrape off the old finish. If the finish is not coming off, add just enough heat to soften the finish, but not the blank too much.

If you over heat the blank - particularly in the small diameter areas near the tip, you may very well destroy the blank.

Patience and heat and scraping will take care of the issue.

Be safe

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 07, 2015 10:14AM

The best rod scraper I have ever used is a piece of split bamboo from a broken rod. The edge is very hard and holds up extremely well and will not cut or gouge the blank like a razor blade or utility knife may do. It is like a super finger nail! I use a hair dryer to soften the finish and go to it. I know having access to split bamboo is not a common thing, but if you can find some try it. Maybe one day it will become available commerically for use as a scraper.

Norm

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 07, 2015 12:54PM

You can also use a butter knife with a streight edge

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2015 12:55PM by bill boettcher.

Date: October 07, 2015 01:10PM

Just make sure that whatever you use that it is not very sharp. Sharp causes problems if you are not careful. A butter knife sounds good, but never tried one

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 07, 2015 01:56PM

Norman,
Actually, I prefer sharp. Yes, it can cause problems, but as long as you are careful, the job goes much more quickly with a sharp edge.

Be safe

Date: October 07, 2015 03:36PM

You are right about sharp going faster. I have had good results with sharp and also have had some very bad results, even when I thought I was being careful. The problem is when you hit a stubborn area and press a little harder than you should. So not to take the chance for disaster I moved to dull blades and got better overall results, with fewer problems. Then moved to split bamboo with no problems. Applying heat does make things easier and faster. Popsicle sticks and plastic scrapers are useless and do not work at all (much to soft). Your finger nail can be a very good scraper but does not last very long and can cause some pain. OK for some small spots. In summary, try diffent things and use what suits you the best just take your time and be careful.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 07, 2015 04:35PM

I use a throwing dubble edged blade knife I use I do keep it sharp but unless it has been done before
Just keep it at 90 With a Little Heat it should come right off

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: David Parsons (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: October 07, 2015 08:35PM

I just got one of the flex coat burnishing tools I think it is made out of cow bone. I just took the guides off a rod and was trying to remove the finish the old credit card as a scraper didn't work so I tried the burnishing tool and thought it worked good it is hard but has a dull edge I used the handle part which is curved and followed the curve of the blank.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster