I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Could this be right?
Posted by: Göran Sandberg (---.011-42-73746f21.cust.bredbandsbolaget.se)
Date: October 07, 2015 11:54AM

Will do. Thanks for the tip.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 07, 2015 04:26PM

Not for Nothing
But
Where did you get these blanks and who made them If the weights are put into onces they relate to 18 plus onces of lure weight

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Geoff Staples (---.wavecable.com)
Date: October 08, 2015 09:24AM

Bill,
The 18+ oz is required to achieve the CCS deflection of the blank (this would be the tip deflecting downward a distance equal to 1/3 the length of the rod blank.) The lure or fly line weight required to comfortably cast the blank wold be significantly less. My guess wold be somewhere between 800 and 900 grains, but who knows, it's quite a stick by the numbers.

-The Batson TEAM
BatsonEnterprises.com

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 08, 2015 10:06AM

I was just curious to see how much it was in onces Got a nice site to just put the numbers in It does all the work
Geoff
What will that relate to as line size ?

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2015 10:23AM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Göran Sandberg (---.011-42-73746f21.cust.bredbandsbolaget.se)
Date: October 08, 2015 11:48AM

It would be interesting to hear others run a CCS on a 14-15" spey rod or blank and see what it takes to deflect the blank a 1/3 of its lenght.
My three rods are from different makers. It seems far fetched that all three would suffer the "broomstick syndrom ". Just saying....
I've added the guides today so maybe I get a chance to do some tests with different lines tomorrow.
Göran.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 08, 2015 10:46PM

I don't think they're out of line as is. But if you want to use the ERN or Intrinsic Power to relate to a line weight, then you'll need to use a different factor than you might use for a regular single handed fly rod. Not a big deal, really.

Date: October 09, 2015 11:05AM

From my personal experience I would say that if you were to use ERN to select starting point line weights for spey and switch rods, ERN-2 would be good for switch and ERN-4 for spey lines. This of course would be applied to the numbers on switch and spey products (if they have line numbers listed at all) and not to single handed lines. This non-correlation to single handed fly line weights is likely the reason many switch and spey lines and rods simply use actual grain weights vs. line weight numbers. This is really nice to see actually due to the objective nature of grain windows.

-The Batson TEAM
BatsonEnterprises.com

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com)
Date: October 15, 2015 11:36AM

According to my calculations the rod will not be a broomstick and should adequately cast a 9 - 10 weight line.
This lies within one line weight from advertised. Certainly acceptable.
Perhaps the CCS has a problem with the conversion ?

Gene

Posted by: Göran Sandberg (---.bredband.skanova.com)
Date: October 15, 2015 11:49AM

Geoff and Eugene: thanks a lot for your input. Maybe the CCS need some conversion factor as mentioned.
Eugene, can you please elaborate a bit how this rod would fit a 9-10 weight line? Would be very interesting to hear more.
And Geoff, any more info to be found about ERN-2 and -4 for switch and spey rods?
Thanks in advance.
Göran.

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com)
Date: October 15, 2015 01:04PM

Göran,
I've created my own spreadsheet to determine rod casting weight.
The specs you gave allowed me to run a stiffness test on the rod taper to determine casting weight based on fly lines specs.
This blank should possess a slow butt with a light fast tip section. The tip section primarily determines the proper line weight while the butt determines the rod's ability to control the tip.
In addition the rod blank should weigh approximately 5 ounces.
The calculation is made based on an IM7 blank material and measures taper proportions over the blank length and compared to an existing blank with known characteristics.

Gene

Date: October 15, 2015 01:52PM

Mr. Sandberg,
I don't think you'd find too much more info as that is only my estimation based on my own experience. This estimation is actually quite useless, as so many of the double handed lines and rods carry grain weights or ratings and no line numbers. As I said before, its a good thing in my opinion. What would be nice is to have enough data samples to build correlation between a comfortable (or good starting point) double handed line weight and the CCS intrinsic power in grams, or ERN. Outside of single handed fly rods I don't calculate ERN. I would rather build my frame of reverence around the raw weight required to deflect to CCS specs. Just my personal preference.

-The Batson TEAM
BatsonEnterprises.com

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster