I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Lockable Rod rack
Posted by: mike langevin (---.sub-70-199-76.myvzw.com)
Date: October 06, 2015 01:16PM

Does anyone know how to build a Rod rack that would lock rods without reels on them. I am trying to come up with a ceiling mount rack to hold 5-8 rods that is lockable? Any ideas appreciated

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Lockable Rod rack
Posted by: Michael Danek (192.183.51.---)
Date: October 06, 2015 04:03PM

How secure do you want to be? A rod rack mounted to the ceiling could be pried off or cut with a suitable saw. If it's just "casual security" that you're after, like to prevent people from handling them, spinning rods can be secured with a cable through the big guide, like is done with locks through firearms trigger guards. Casting rods, especially micro rods present more of a challenge, but a cable with individual padlocks for each rod (padlocks sized to capture the reel seat in the trigger area), would work. You can get locks all keyed the same. I'll give it more thought.

Posted by: mike langevin (---.sub-70-199-76.myvzw.com)
Date: October 06, 2015 04:49PM

It's more for an illusion of security . I know nothing is completely secure. One lock would be better

Posted by: John Repaci (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: October 06, 2015 05:48PM

Mike,
If you unhide your email, I will send you (2) photos of hanging rod racks secured, in my case, with snap hardware.
ALMOST flush to ceiling.
A lock can be installed as you wish.

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble.It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Mark Twain
John in Wethersfield, CT

Posted by: John Repaci (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: October 06, 2015 06:11PM

Mike.
I just posted (2) photos in "Miscellaneous" re: ceiling racks

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble.It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Mark Twain
John in Wethersfield, CT

Posted by: mike langevin (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 06, 2015 07:13PM

I had no idea my email was hidden... Let me try to fix this

Date: October 06, 2015 07:22PM

I looked at the pictures and the rack looks great. Sadly this has to go half over a refrigerator so I wouldn't have the room to swing the whole rack down.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 07, 2015 02:00PM

Mike,
One very simple thing to do, would be to use any of the previously listed ideas, but with a modification.

Drill a hole through each of the rod separators through which you may place a rod. Have a 90 degree bend on one end to serve as a handle. Drill a hole through the other end where you could place a lock.

Install all of the rods, then push the locking rod through the rack and insert a padlock in the end.

Use a rod, about the size of a broom handle.

That way, the rod holder itself would continue to hold the rods, but there would not be able to be moved without removing the locking rod. Once the rod was removed, any of the rods could be removed or inserted as one would wish.

Good luck

Posted by: mike langevin (---.sub-70-199-82.myvzw.com)
Date: October 07, 2015 03:53PM

Hmm that sounds good not sure I totaly understand

Posted by: Michael Danek (192.183.51.---)
Date: October 07, 2015 05:07PM

Roger, how about a photo of a sketch for the photo section?

Date: October 07, 2015 05:18PM

That would be awesome! Second for the drawing

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster