I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Magic marbling any comments
Posted by: Joseph Renfroe (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: October 03, 2015 06:58PM

Just purchased the magic marbling from Mudhole anyone have any issues, do you need a finishing coat for grips if so what did you use and has anybody tried to do a whole rod or reel seat. thanks again for all your info.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Magic marbling any comments
Posted by: Buzz Butters (---.dhcp.fdul.wi.charter.com)
Date: October 04, 2015 08:20AM

In my rod shop we found there was a bit of a learning curve but the results are really nice. Regardless if you put it on cork or EVA I strongly suggest you primer the grip first with white spray paint. It makes the colors really pop. Yes we put a coat or two of Threadmaster high build on the grips. if you don't the paint can chip over time. Once the finish is applied it again makes the colors even stronger.

Remember it is all about the surface area on the water to get proper paint coverage. Experiment, do some mock ups, its a lot of fun. Enjoy
Buzz

Date: October 04, 2015 11:12AM

Thank you for the information very helpful. My first grips I just dipped no primer or coating. They Looked really good cant wait until I have them down. Have you ever dipped a whole rod before?

Posted by: Buzz Butters (---.dhcp.fdul.wi.charter.com)
Date: October 04, 2015 02:58PM

Ive dipped the split grip area but not whole rod. Remember its all about surface area. We tried dipping an ice rod blank with a trough-like bath of 4' PVC pipe. Looks great until the two sets of paint meet together. The seam looks pretty scaggy.

Posted by: Jeremy Reed (199.9.60.---)
Date: October 06, 2015 09:42AM

The mad-swirl can be done on about anything. The main thing is to fill your pits and pores. This can be done on eva, cork, and rigid pour foam. I prefer rigid pour foam. You need to prime the item. You can vary your top coat colors by your basecoat color, meaning that if you use white primer, your colors will be true to their color, but if you use black primer, the colors will either change or be muted, For example, Ochre over white is a yellowish orange, but over a black base become an Olive color.

I did an article for Rod Maker a few years ago after i had got the process down so the steps are outlined in it.. Initially I used rustoleum and the borax method but then started bootlegging Magic Marble in from another country before it was available here. Once I started using it, I quit using the borax method. You can dip a rod, but you have to have enough height and surface area for the paint, I one time we had figured it would take about a tube about 6" longer than the rod, and about 10-12" diameter for the surface area. Alternatively, you can use a trash bin and dip each half with the seam meeting under where a guide will be set.

Here's a quick video I did a few years ago just for demonstration. It does not have all the steps. If you're doing grips, uses either Epoxy 321 from Riley Rods or thread finish. I like 321 better because it dries harder offers more rigidity. But most of the people I talk to I recommend thread finish because they have it on hand. For reel seats, I have an auto body place spray my seats. Be careful if you try to use a spray urethane. From my testing I did early on, it did not offer enough protection and would eventually scratch. Also, be sure to shake your bottles well in order to get the paint mixed up. [youtu.be]

Steps:
1. fill in pits
2. Optional - put thin coat of epoxy/finish on.
3. sand to smooth
4. prime
5. dip
6. clear coat.

Take care,

Jeremy Reed

Date: October 06, 2015 12:31PM

Thanks Jeremy, again I wish to thank all of you who have supplied me with ideas and or links

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster