I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

tiger wrap final finish
Posted by: Joseph Renfroe (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: October 03, 2015 03:15PM

I am just starting to build rods and I have a question that hopefully can be anwered. I have just wrapped a rod with mudhole tigerthread. I applied color preserver on the thread before I added the thread finish. I ended up with really dark spots and some with light spots I was wondering how can I get an even color level with this type of thread. Again I am just starting out so I know i may be doing something incorrect.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: tiger wrap final finish
Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: October 03, 2015 04:52PM

How many coats of color preserver? I use a minimum of 2 sometimes 3, with plenty of dry time. Don't feel bad I think all of use here have been trough it one time or other. About all you can do now is strip it off and redo, Ya know the old saying practice makes perfect, Tight lines Jaa

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 03, 2015 05:32PM

Also make sure the thread is neatly and evenly packed. Any minute open areas will show as darker areas.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 03, 2015 05:43PM

I put CP on as it turns you get a better level coat
Also
I use flexcoat and find I have to thin it a little in order to get most of the little lumps out Mix well

Bill - willierods.com

Date: October 03, 2015 06:08PM

Thanks for the input, i noticed when I put the color preserver on it made certain spots look darker then others and the thread was packed tight Hey as with everything practice makes perfect.

Date: October 03, 2015 06:18PM

I have used several CP's and then went back to flexcoat - Just me I guess

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 03, 2015 06:29PM

The entire thread should have turned dark when the CP was applied, and then come back up to near original color. If it was already blotchy during CP application, you may have something else entirely going on.

Date: October 03, 2015 06:30PM

I did use flex coat color preserver. I applied 2 coats maybe it wasnt fully dried? Thanks for the help and information.

Date: October 03, 2015 06:40PM

I never liked it right out of the bottle - Just Me -
But you should let it dry Overnight Don't be in a hurry Things have to dry

Bill - willierods.com

Date: October 03, 2015 07:00PM

Thanks only gave it about 2 hour dry time make sense. I used this on old rod so no worries.

Posted by: Dick Ross (---.sub-70-199-168.myvzw.com)
Date: October 03, 2015 09:55PM

I use Chromaseal,which is similar to flex coat, is have also used the tiger threads quite a bit. I put the first coat on heavy so that you can see excess CP. I turn by hand the whole rod. I then go back and with the brush remove the excess. Let that dry 3-4hrs and apply second coat. I put that on so I have little excess CP on the wrap and about half way up the rod,I go wipe off the excess with brush again. Let that dry at least overnight or longer before applying epoxy. That first soaking is the one that really does the work. If the first coat doesn't seal them evenly, the second one rarely fixes things.

Date: October 04, 2015 11:15AM

where can I find this chromaseal you're talking about? is it used the same as flex coat?

Date: October 04, 2015 12:45PM

thanks do you have any issues that deal with tiger wraps in particular. I just signed up for your magazine

Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: October 05, 2015 12:07PM

Date: October 05, 2015 12:37PM

thank you for the link, very informative. will practice this this weekend.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster