I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thread Inlay
Posted by: Kenneth Probst (---.bhcycmtk01.res.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: October 02, 2015 07:19PM

Hello There I have watched videos read articles and I am still having trouble especially with single thread one wrap inlays. Do you do multiple wrap inlays the same way. I know this is fairly basic stuff but I need help!

Kenneth Probst

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thread Inlay
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 02, 2015 07:52PM

For a multiple inlay, you just keep going around with both threads - the wrapping and the inlay thread. Stop when you have as many inlays in there as you want.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: October 03, 2015 10:01PM

Keep in mind where you start the inlay. I put that point underneath so it doesn't show with the rod "right side up." When wrapping to that point with the inlay I go past it about half way around the rod, then carefully pull the inlay thread back to the start point, using a fingernail on the start point to keep from going too far.

Just to clarify, you are talking about IN-lays, single threads INSIDE the main wrap? If you are talking about adding a single thread on the end of the wrap, that is a somewhat different process, and there are a number of ways builders accomplish that. It is not as easy, in my opinion, as a true IN-lay thread inside the wrap.

Posted by: Kenneth Probst (---.mycingular.net)
Date: October 04, 2015 01:03PM

I'm talking abou a single thread IN-lay in the middle of a wrap I have no issues getting it started but when I wrap the tag end back under the main wrap I always end up with where I wrapped it under creating a bump. It seems like other wraps I have looked at from custom rods I have had made that is smoother.

Kenne

Posted by: Steve Hartzell (---.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: October 04, 2015 09:26PM

Try this, begin your main wrap and insert the the inlay thread six turns before you want the inlay to show. This anchors the inlay under the main wrap. Trim the inlay tag end and gently pull it under the main wrap to hide the tag under the main wrap, being careful not to pull it all the way out. Wrap the two threads together for three turns, then unwind two turns of the inlay thread which leaves one inlay thread in place. You will need to pack the main threads to make up the for the space from the unwound inlay thread. Continue with a few turns of the main, cut the inlay thread and continue wrapping over it with the main.

Steve Hartzell
Lake Conroe - Willis, Texas

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster