I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rattle Traps blanks 1/2 to 3/4
Posted by: Robert Tanner (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: September 30, 2015 09:24AM

Like to know some Rattle Traps blanks for 3/8 to 3/4's

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rattle Traps blanks 1/2 to 3/4
Posted by: Todd R. Vivian (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: September 30, 2015 10:38AM

Bob,
if this is an open water rod then you should be considering the Specifically designed Crank Bait models by MHX.
[www.mudhole.com]
If you are looking at ripping them through grass down here in Florida you should probably be considering an MB843-MHX.

Regards,

Todd

Regards,
Todd Vivian
Mud Hole Custom Tackle

todd@mudhole.com

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: September 30, 2015 10:45AM

I have built and fished "hot shot" blanks and found them well suited for certain types of fishing. [An 8 1/2 foot hot shot blank makes a wicked fast 11 wt. fly rod.] This is the first time I have heard of a "rattle trap" blank. What are its distinguishing characteristics?

Date: September 30, 2015 11:12AM

Thanks Todd they will be throwing in grass down here.......

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: September 30, 2015 04:18PM

Don't overlook checking the Bushido MB68/10-17. Bushidos are wonderful blanks, good values. I think the MB68/12/20 is too heavy for what you want to do. It's a really powerful blank.

Date: October 01, 2015 08:38PM

No body builds Rattle Traps rods ?

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 01, 2015 09:09PM

phil
check here maybe they are covering all bases ??---- Spin jig
[www.mudhole.com]

Bill - willierods.com

Date: October 01, 2015 10:44PM

Thanks, Bill. I found Mudhole rattle trap blanks are also recommended for drop shot, live bait, shakey head, top water, twitch baits, and walleye. I would not think all these purposes would require blanks with similar power, action, speed, taper - all that kind of thing?

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: October 02, 2015 07:57AM

I'd never throw a rattle trap on some of the blanks that Mud Hole has rattle traps listed in the column of recommended baits. While I can understand Todd's recommendation of a medium heavy power, mag bass blank, the MB843, for ripping "traps" through grass (you need that kind of power to rip the bait) I'm thinking landing a fish hooked on a lipless crankbait with what amounts to being a worm and jig rod is going to be a 50/50 proposition.

Personally I'd go with a crankbait blank, Medium fast or moderate fast action ..... medium heavy or heavy power, leaning more towards the heavy power, and braided line if I were ripping baits through grass. You'll land a lot more fish because of the slower action.

And I'd definitely change out the hooks on the baits. Something with a short shank and stout wire. Either Mustad KVD Elite 1X strong 2X short shank, or the new Owner ST35 short shank wide gap. IMO, light wire trebles and fast moving baits don't mix. You need that heavier wire to cut down on hook deflection with a fast moving bait.

Date: October 02, 2015 09:37AM

David thanks I was thinking on the same line of blanks. Mod-Fast and medium heavy........

Date: October 02, 2015 11:06AM

Thanks again. "Moderate-fast" and "medium heavy" are terms I can measure and understand.

Posted by: Geoff Staples (---.wavecable.com)
Date: October 06, 2015 02:34PM

Mr. Tanner,
Based on Phil and David's comments you may want to consider some of the Rainshadow selections below:

E Glass: GCB710MH-GB or GCB70MH-GB (nice glass crank bait blanks, more of a fast action tip but the glass flexes deep into the butt section when loaded)

RX7 Graphite: CB70MH-M

RX8 Graphite: IMMP70MH-TC (inshore popping blanks actually spec out very similar to cranking blanks.)

-The Batson TEAM
BatsonEnterprises.com

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: October 07, 2015 09:19AM

Robert, a lot depends on not only what size "traps" you'll be throwing, but also how long the casts you'll be making are. If you're planning on bombing casts with any "trap" over 5/8 oz. I pesonally would go with a heavy power. And actually, based on my experience with my trap rod (it's 7' medium heavy power, medium fast action Shimano factory rod) my next trap/crankbait rod is going to be a heavy power, simply because of the length of the casts I routinely make.

We all know how power robbing crankbait rods are .... take a 1/2 - 3/4 oz bait and add the weight of 100' more of line, with the majority of it under water, and you can imagine how much weight you're actually pulling. At least that's my thinking. As far as blanks .... I'll be building a new trap/crankbait rod in the future, and based on a rod that I built on a Rainshadow RX7, CB66MH blank, I'll be using an RX7, CB70H blank for the new rod I'll be building.

I can't give an entirely accurate review on how the CB66MH performs, because I trimmed 6" off the butt of the blank to build the rod, so I'm sure the rod doesn't perform like a rod built from non trimmed blank would. I built the rod for throwing 1.5 and 2.5 squarebills into wood cover, and the rod is awesome for its intended purpose. The CB66MH blank is very light, is surprisingly crisp for a crankbait blank, and has a super smooth action. It's an outstanding blank

Posted by: Joe Johnson (76.8.209.---)
Date: October 07, 2015 02:21PM

RF Legacy Elite Blank RF 765

I have two of these rods set up for Rattle traps and large crankbaits. They work awesome. They're s glass and so they have a good bend, but they are stout enough to handle just about anything. For example: My Bro-in-law and I were fishing for smallmouth on a lake with Tiger Musky in it. He had a big musky swipe at a rattle bait and ended up tail hooked. The rod performed flawlessly and allowed us to land a 46" Tiger on 12lb florocarbon tail hooked... Good times, great blank.

Joe

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster