I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

candy color effects to epoxy
Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.direcway.com)
Date: September 29, 2015 04:17PM

I am sure that this may have been covered previously but I haven't been able to come up with an answer, so I will ask.

I am looking to add some candy color effects to my epoxy. I.E. clear red, purple, blue or green over the threads to create almost a hotrod paint look to the epoxy. I would love to come up with a way to do candy apple red or even a base of purple with a clear red epoxy over it.

What do I need to add to my epoxy to be able to accomplish being able to tint it while remaining clear?

Thanks guys,
Tom

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: candy color effects to epoxy
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 29, 2015 04:18PM

Silve mylar on the bottom. Add guide, wrap with scarlet red thread, regular nylon. Do not use CP. Coat with epoxy. This will pretty much give you what you're after.

Posted by: Bryan Yates (---.townes.net)
Date: September 29, 2015 06:53PM

Thomas -
I've done what I think you are describing. The candy colors I've used will yield a pearlescent sparkle along with the tint, much like a pearl coat on a car.
I get most of my candy colors from Riley Rods (sponsor on the left). I've also had good luck from some of the powder pigments found at hobby lobby in the liquid acrylic section of the store.
I'd recommend some test wraps to get a feel for how much pigment to use, as it's a bit different in the mixing cup vs. applied. I always add resin to the cup first, add pigment and gently mix by hand to break up the powder, then add hardner and place in the mixer. Good luck.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.direcway.com)
Date: September 29, 2015 09:10PM

Gentlemen,
thank you very much. I have some spare time tomorrow and will give it a shot.

once again thanks,
Tom

Posted by: Jared Taylor (---.cityofanderson.com)
Date: September 30, 2015 08:09AM

Tom, I have had pretty good luck with using a black thread on the guide wraps and adding automotive pearl pigment to the epoxy (on matte black blanks anyway.) But as Bryan said, you have to experiment with the amount of pigment added to the epoxy. For me, using about 6ml (total mix) of flexcoat lite build, I use the flat side of a toothpick, cover about the last 1/8" with a heaping scoop twice and that seems to give me about the right color of sparkle. See the pic in the photo section to see if this might be the look you're going for.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Chuck Blocker (---.dia.static.qwest.net)
Date: September 30, 2015 01:13PM

Tom,

Where can one get the silver Mylar?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 30, 2015 01:21PM

Most hobby or craft stores have it. There was a thread about it just a page or so back, you can probably dig there and get several good sources for it.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.tmodns.net)
Date: September 30, 2015 04:58PM

Sulky Holoshimmer, just about any fabric store.

Posted by: Randy Kruger (---.cbpu.com)
Date: October 06, 2015 04:57PM

The good folks at Component Systems In Wausau Wi. sent me a couple of samples of the powder that they use to color their paints, I mixed it into my epoxy, with really nice results. The only colors that they sent me were chartreuse, and blaze orange, but the color that they added to the epoxy is remarkable...tinted the epoxy without making it cloudy.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster