I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Jerkbait Blank Suggestions
Posted by: Jay Burns (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: September 29, 2015 08:40AM

Hey guys was looking for some recommendations for a jerk bait rod.. I like to throw jerkbaits from 7/16-1/2 ounce on 8 pound test mono.. I want a blank that won't be too stiff to lose action on the jerkbait and has some play for the trebles.. Also looking for something no longer than 6'9 as I work tip down and don't want to hit trolling motor. Any suggestions on a blank.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Jerkbait Blank Suggestions
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: September 29, 2015 08:42AM

Based on line, I presume you're looking for a spinning blank?

Posted by: Brook Oliva (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: September 29, 2015 09:59AM

Jay,
The MHX MB812XF or MB813XF were specifically designed for Jerk Bait applications and should be perfect options. Check out the link below.

[www.mudhole.com]

Kind Regards,

Brook Oliva
Mud Hole Custom Tackle, Inc.
brook@mudhole.com
(866)-790-RODS

Date: September 29, 2015 10:13AM

No I throw jerkbaits on casting gear, just with 8lbs test.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.56.42.---)
Date: September 29, 2015 10:43AM

Rod blanks don't care what type reel guides, or grips you use. I think Michael was asking about power and action, spinning blanks such as Spin Bass, or Spin jig have different characteristics than say a Mag Bass blank.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 29, 2015 10:53AM

I just made an mb812xf casting rod for jerk baits using Fuji kr micro guides. Use 15 lb braid with a floro leader and it throws and works both hard and soft jerk baits extremely well. Although this blank can be made into a spinning rod it is designed as a casting rod.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: September 29, 2015 11:34AM

I just started building rods this past year, and my first build was a jerkbait rod. The description of the type of rod you want to build matches the type of rod I wanted as well.

Something with a fast tip so it would be able to impart that darting action, and be sensitive enough to detect a light bite during the pause with a suspending jerkbait, But a rod with some bend into the midsection of the blank that keeps fish hooked on treble hooked lures, buttoned up.

The route I went is something you may want to consider, as I think I came pretty close to what I was looking for. I purchased a longer blank with the specs I was looking for, and trimmed length from the butt to effectively slow the action. Because of my height, I like a shorter rod than you mentioned, so I built my rod on an MHX, SJ783 blank and trimmed 6" off the butt to make the rod the 6' length I was looking for. Taking that much off the butt has the rod bending into the midsection with a fish on like I was looking for, but the tip is lively enough to get that good darting action, and sensitive enough to detect those subtle on the pause bites that you get in the colder water periods.

I went with a blank from the SJ series because of the difference in blank characteristics that Spencer mentioned. I didn't want the stronger butt section that usually comes with a mag taper blank.

I wasn't worried about trimming the blank voiding the warranty, because I built the rod for my personal use.

Just something to consider ......

Date: September 29, 2015 11:41AM

Good suggestions guys, yes I think a spinning blank would be best, not looking for the bulky mid section or butt that the Mag will provide. Let me know what you guys recommend, looking exactly what Dave spoke about, just not sure I want to trim the blank if I dont have to.

Date: September 29, 2015 11:56AM

I do have a Rainshadow Revelation blank REVS68MXF up in the work room. Any opinions on this blank for jerkbaits? Was originally planning to use this for finesse jigs... Wasn't sure if the XF action of the blank would be best suited to match jerkbaits. You guys have more insight than myself.

Date: September 29, 2015 05:07PM

I'm building this one right now, bought it based on the CCS numbers and the desire to try a Point Blank, and it looks perfect so far. Using the Fuji titanium guides (9 guides total + tiptop), feels light as a feather.

PB691MXF 6'9" 1 8-14 Mono • 10-15 Braid 1/8 - 5/8 14.06 1.81mm(5.0) 1.76oz

The text above doesn't say it, but it's a very fast action. (75 degrees CCS)

Posted by: Jay Burns (---.excelsior.edu)
Date: September 29, 2015 05:38PM

Point Blank, havent seen one yet in person. How do you like that blank?

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 29, 2015 08:30PM

I built a rod for just that method of fishing. I used a St. Croix AVS68MX5 blank. Very fast tip and lots of backbone.

Date: September 29, 2015 09:19PM

Jay, I'm just finishing the build, so have not fished it. It feels great in the hand, has the specs that I think are right for fast twitching jerks like Pointers.

Date: September 30, 2015 07:00PM

I was looking to make the handle a bit shorter to make it easier to work a jerkbait.... How far from butt end to the back of the reel seat, roughly 8 inches?//

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: October 01, 2015 08:22AM

Jay, my thoughts on handle length mirrors yours. For me a shorter rear grip on a jerkbait rod is definitely the way to go. On the rod I described earlier, my rear grip is (end of the butt cap to back of the reel seat) is 7 3/4".

This is just another one of those things you may want to consider .... if you're not using a reel seat that requires you ordering it to fit the blank at a specific location, you may want to experiment with reel seat placement a bit. A 6'9" rod with an 8" rear grip may feel a little sluggish. I only say that because of an experience I had with a 6' pistol grip spinnerbait rod I had years ago. I couldn't stand that rod, it just didn't have the flick of the wrist feeling that I was used to with a 5'6" pistol grip rod.

Anyhow ..... just something to think about. Personally, I'd see if you could push it out to at least 8 1/2" if that handle length will still allow you to work the rod the way you want. A 1/2" may not sound like much, but it may make a world of difference in how the rod feels in your hand.

Like I said ..... just something to think about.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2015 08:27AM by David Baylor.

Posted by: Jay Burns (---.excelsior.edu)
Date: October 01, 2015 12:17PM

Great suggestion, once all the components are in I will play around with the reel seat placement. I agree a little change makes a big difference. Great advice, cant wait to see how yours turns out.

Date: October 01, 2015 01:06PM

I used 9 inches based on my satisfaction with other rods I've done. My main priority has been ergonomics of two handed casts. I don't think there is any magic in 9, suggest you try what you think is right before gluing the reel seat on. I would not shy away from very fast actions for hard jerk fishing. There are times that smallies just won't touch a hard jerk unless it's really twitched fast/abruptly, and that aggressive action is easier to impart on a jerk with a fast action. Mainly you want the rod lure rating to match your expected lure size fairly well so that the rod will load properly on the cast.

Date: October 01, 2015 01:10PM

Jay, I expect that Revelation will work just fine for what you plan. If it doesn't, just remember that you cannot have too many rods.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster