I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Shimano Thunnus 8000 chokepoint distance?
Posted by: Boghy Brock (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: September 28, 2015 10:48PM

Does anyone know for sure if Shimano Thunnus 8000 has any angle at all to pinpoint the chokepoint distance? I've been scratching my head on this for awhile and i can't seem to get an accurate answer. I know x27 puts me in average where i should be, but just wondering if there are more accurate measurements for this reel.
Any ideas?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Shimano Thunnus 8000 chokepoint distance?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 29, 2015 10:09AM

Since reel spool upsweep angle plays no practical role in casting (line is pulled from the reel spool, not shot from it), I'd suggest using the 27X factor as this takes into account what really matters - the spool diameter.

If you're going to be working with certain Fuji guide trains then their online guide placement calculator is another method you can try. If using the MicroWave set up, I believe those come with placement instructions.

Date: September 29, 2015 07:25PM

Tom,

I've purchased the MicroWave 30 system, and did the measurements accordingly using the information what was shipped along with the set, and that created a big shake in the tip, when reeling in an 1Oz weight. So i figure it had to do something with the fact that the reel may not have the necessary angle for such system to work, but i guess i'll have to pass on that 30 system. Now, they did said that they tested up to 7000 in they documentation, but i didn't expected to feel that hard tip shake on 8000. I guess the good old 27X is the bulletproof layout for this reel.
Thank you for your input.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 29, 2015 08:45PM

No system will tell you where the chock is and will stay !!!
They are only a sugestions and can be moved to help casting and distance

What blank are you using - What lure weight are you throwing - What size chock guide and running guides
Sounds like you may have a TOO soft blank for what you want to handle the lure weight you want to thow

Bill - willierods.com

Date: September 29, 2015 09:04PM

9ft 1 piece Jaws blank model: 91540 rated 15-40Lbs. The rod has med-hvy tip size 6.5, but heavy power from midsection down. I like that blank, i had another rod on a different 9ft jaws blank 12-30Lbs, i had no problem lifting 15-20lb fish on that blank. The lure is 4 Oz, but i usually do 1Oz to check if the tip shakes. I did pretty good on the other blank, but on this one i tried some new layouts like the new MicroWave30 and even MicroWave50. I didn't like the results comparing on what i had done on different guides on the other rod - using same exact reel model and brand, that's why i said i should probably go back to X27 layout since that did a good job on the other rod.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 30, 2015 01:14PM

Boghy,
If you are getting a lot of tip shake when reeling in the reel, I would suggest that you redo the guide placement and move the butt guide about 6 inches further up the rod, or use a larger stripper guide.

I think that if you look carefully at the line as it is reeled in under tension you will see that the line is hanging up on the bail of the rod during part of its rotation. This issue is most commonly caused by a stripper that is too small ,or a stripper that is too close to the reel.

If you are using a larger reel than that is optimum for the size and or height of the stripper, but you want to continue to use the same guide, the only solution is to continue to move it further up the blank until the line jumping stops.

This issue can happen very often in the build of ice fishing rods, since the overall length of ice rods are so short. But, again the issue is solved by using a taller stripper and or a stripper that is further from the reel.

Be safe

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster