I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guide Replacement
Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 28, 2015 08:39PM

Had a rod brought to me today for a guide replacement. All it says on the rod is Billy Westmoreland lite line special. It is a fiberglass rod about 5'6" and appears fairly old. The first guide frame is broken and the cushion and ring are missing. Below is a photo of the next guide up.

Does anyone know if these are still available anywhere and if so where? All and any help would be appreciated

Thanks
Tom

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guide Replacement
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 28, 2015 10:10PM

A lot of companies built guides that looked like that although Perfection was paramount in that type design. The shock rings were often dyed, or could be dyed by the builder. I doubt you'll find any of these offered currently, but almost certainly some rod builders still have some in their stock.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 28, 2015 10:47PM

I have several old guides that look very similar to the one you show except that they have a white shock ring rather than a red one. I think they are perfection guides but not sure. Took them off of a rod maybe 30-35 years ago. The ring sizes appear to be 20, 16, 10, 8, and 7/6. Have one of each except for the size 8 and have 2 of them. The size 12 I have has a broken frame so is no good. Other than being old they are in good shape. As Tom mentioned the shock ring can dyed with Rit frabic dye. If you want them you can have them for free. I assume the customer wants the rod restored using the old guides. If not you can use more modern guides for aa complete rewrap.

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 29, 2015 07:09PM

Norman Miller Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have several old guides that look very similar
> to the one you show except that they have a white
> shock ring rather than a red one. I think they
> are perfection guides but not sure. Took them off
> of a rod maybe 30-35 years ago. The ring sizes
> appear to be 20, 16, 10, 8, and 7/6. Have one of
> each except for the size 8 and have 2 of them. The
> size 12 I have has a broken frame so is no good.
> Other than being old they are in good shape. As
> Tom mentioned the shock ring can dyed with Rit
> frabic dye. If you want them you can have them for
> free. I assume the customer wants the rod restored
> using the old guides. If not you can use more
> modern guides for aa complete rewrap.

Norman email sent

Tom

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster