I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

IP964F Rainshadow Inshore Popping Blank
Posted by: Brian Fleury (---.ummhc.org)
Date: September 28, 2015 02:25PM

Thinking about building one for my son's gf. She does fish with us for school stripers in R.I. They recommend using single foot guides but would like double's. Never tried this... How much would it effect the action. I know more weight... Should I stay with same guide sizes and spacing if I attempt. 1st time here so Hi. I'm Brian. Build surf to fly. have about 20 rods or so under my belt.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: IP964F Rainshadow Inshore Popping Blank
Posted by: Geoff Staples (---.wavecable.com)
Date: September 28, 2015 03:49PM

Mr. Fleury,
That blank is certainly within the power range where singles would be appropirate. However, the term appropriate is reletive to the level of durability you require. Double foots would work fine also and if weight is a concern you could do things like keep the guide sizes as small as possible, keep the wrap lengths and finish amounts to a minimum, and use titanium guides. It's custom, by all means build it how you want it.

-The Batson TEAM
BatsonEnterprises.com

Date: September 28, 2015 04:02PM

Thanks Geoff,
I'm guessing i should keep the guide sizes at least at the recommended for single foot as the double foot guides will be closer to the blank? Have not experimented too far outside of manufacurer's recommendations before... BTW, Have built at least 6 rods on Rainshadows which is why I seek them out. I built a 3wt. I made that casts/fishes as well as any 3 wt. I have tried. Love that little wand.

Posted by: Geoff Staples (---.wavecable.com)
Date: September 28, 2015 04:08PM

Hi Brian,
It would depend on which double foots you wanted to use. Can you enlighten me? Also, always feel free to move guides around, its a big part of custom building. Just make sure to static flex your blank to make sure nothing awkward is going on with the custom spacing.

-The Batson TEAM
BatsonEnterprises.com

Posted by: Capt. Michael Harmon (107.77.70.---)
Date: September 28, 2015 09:29PM

I use that blank in long Island for stripers, blues, false albies, etc. I wrapped minima single foot guides on it and I cast it with a Penn slammer 360. Start with recommended guide distances and move around to adjust for reel spool size. I used a size 30 guide as the stripper guide and a total of 9 guides plus a tip top. Also I cut 6" off the butt. I think you will be happy with that blank. You might even keep it for yourself. You can email me if you have any other questions. Good luck, MH

Posted by: Chris E Linville (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: September 29, 2015 07:06PM

I have built two, one with dbl foot minima 4 guides and I like the dbl foot guide rod the best.no problem with the action of the rod and it is full length.
I love this rod what I would like to know is where did you get the 2 piece blank.

Posted by: Capt. Michael Harmon (107.77.76.---)
Date: September 29, 2015 08:51PM

Chris, try get bit outdoors. I bought mine from them. MH

Date: September 29, 2015 09:03PM

Just checked get bit. They carry the one and two piece. Also try utmost. MH

Date: September 30, 2015 10:04AM

GetBit is where I saw it like 40% off. Want to make one order. Choosing guides is where I am still stumped at. I do static testing so I'm guessing and can make it work pretty good regardless. Choosing thread and decor another issue. Want to "girly" the rod up. Thanks for the help guys. Really like this site.
Brian

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 30, 2015 10:58AM

Get Bit has a nice sale on that blank You should be able to get your seat guides handle from them also

Bill - willierods.com

Date: September 30, 2015 12:02PM

Just went to start my order. Out of stock. The IP963 also out.

Date: September 30, 2015 05:44PM

Brian, Angler's Workshop might have it in stock. The minima guides are pretty inexpensive so buy the recommended number and size for the blank then add a few running guides to the order. Set up the guides and reel seat then mount the reel and test the layout. Move guides and add guides until you get a nice curve in the line. I can measure the set up I use but remember I cut my blank down by 6". Email me and I'll get back to you. As far as making "girly" it isn't a problem. Check out some of the sponsors to the left. I build my daughter rods and I use pink camo grips, hot pink thread, some have decals, etc. I think a company even makes pink composite grips. Good luck, MH

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 30, 2015 05:47PM

Try Utmost Call if you can you will get a better price then what is stated on the site

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: October 04, 2015 06:44PM

I think Schneiders has some in 1 or 2 piece. To the left.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster