I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

27X layout of choker guide
Posted by: James Rogers (199.27.156.---)
Date: September 26, 2015 12:19PM

Upon measuring the guide placement of the "choker" guide using the 27X method I find that the choker guide is only 1" 3/8 from the female end of the ferrule. Is that too close? Should I move it further out? This is my first build and it is a 10' 6" spinning rod set up with a Penn Battle II 2000 using a Rainshadow BP1264F blank.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 27X layout of choker guide
Date: September 26, 2015 12:40PM

After reading my post I think that I need more clarification: The choker guide measures out to be on the top section of the rod but only 1 3/8" from the butt end of the top section of the rod blank which is the female part of the ferrule. I had planned on wrapping over a couple of inches of the butt end of the top section for reinforcement

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 26, 2015 12:56PM

That is OK You may have to move it when you static test -- before -- static testing wrap tape or thread on the end tight so you don't get a break in the edge of the ferrual

Bill - willierods.com

Date: September 26, 2015 01:05PM

I was thinking that by using the New guide concept as outlined in the article found in the Library section that the "choker" guide remained as measured from the face of the spool. which in my case would be 1161 mm from the face of the spool. Spool Diam = 43 mm X 27 = 1161 mm I thought that the static teasting was to find the placement and number of all of the guides rom the choker to the tip. (running guides)

Date: September 26, 2015 01:26PM

Place all the guides on the rod Static test and adjust as needed - if needed -
The chocker can also be moved as long as the line path is good Nothing is written in stone
Once you have the guides as you like them check the Bulls Eye of the butt to chocker
You could also try a different butt guide to see how and if it casts better when test casting

Bill - willierods.com

Date: September 26, 2015 01:35PM

Thanks for the guidance I tend to get ahead of myself sometimes

Date: September 26, 2015 01:51PM

I would think all of us were the same way till we get a couple of rods under our belts After a few it will be like writting your name
There is also above a Search that can be used to locate past posts for any questions Like the one where the guide is Good to know it is there There is also the Microwave guide set up if you care to check them out

[rodbuilding.org]

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 26, 2015 02:45PM

Put it 1161mm from the face of the reel. You can incorporate it into the ferrule reinforcement wrap if you like, which is often a good thing to do. If you decide to move it up an inch +/- it won't make a great deal of difference.

Given that location I will assume you have a pretty long handle length. But that's okay if it fits you.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 27, 2015 12:53AM

Or, you could forget about the 27X method and the choker guide and simply place a guide on the rod where it is needed to insure that the blank is properly loaded with the minimum amount of guides.

Good luck

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 27, 2015 08:08AM

A guide at 27X will be where it is needed for all around casting performance with a wide variety of lines and types. As long as enough guides are used in the total layout, stress distribution should be more than adequate.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster