I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Immortal 7'3 ML Casting Blank
Posted by: Cameron Johnson (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: September 04, 2015 02:40PM

Hey guys so I am hoping someone can help me out with this blank. I do not have a way to get my hands on it. I was thinking about going with another company for this rod, but I also want opinions on this blank. I am looking for a rod to throw texas rigs into laydowns. The weight is 3/16 with usually 7inch plastics. I have the 7'2 M Immortal, but this amount of weight does not load that rod very well as it is a bit stiffer. I am thinking about the ML for the better casting of a light weight like this, but what kind of backbone does the rod have? I know a lot of the Rainshadow blanks run pretty stiff. None of this cover is extremely thick, I used to use a 7ft MH High Mod MHX in this application. Does anyone that has played with this blank have any advice? Would this blank be a good fit for this? Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Immortal 7'3 ML Casting Blank
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 04, 2015 03:56PM

Is that complete Did you figure the weight of the 7" plastic bait
If you call Batson They will gladly answer any questions Very good product
Or
Just wait

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2015 04:02PM by bill boettcher.

Date: September 04, 2015 08:22PM

I do not know the actual weight of the bait, but I know that on the medium it is not enough to properly load the rod when casting. That is why I was thinking about stepping down to the ML. I should give them a call though you are right thanks!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2015 08:23PM by Cameron Johnson.

Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: September 05, 2015 03:28AM

As bill said Not enough information, Take your worm bait, with hook, trailer,? etc, And weigh them somewhere if you don't have a scale. Or buy a cheap digital gram scale, 28 gram per ounce. What line # are you using? mono-or braid? You will be asked this when you call. And keep in mind that rod blanks don't know what there made for. Meaning a casting blank can build into a fine spinning rod, And a spinning blank can build into a fine casting rod, That will open up a larger selection of blanks to fit the purpose you desire, if you follow me? Tight Lines! Jaa

Date: September 05, 2015 04:44AM

Maybe you can find info online about it Or some one here has fished them and knows

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: September 05, 2015 06:42AM

I don't have any experience with either the Immortal 72M or 73ML blanks, but I do have experience with the Immortal 72MH blank, which is why I find it interesting that you say the 72M doesn't load well enough with the weight and bait combination that you mentioned. My reason for saying that is, I routinely use that size bait and weight combination with the rod I built using the 72MH blank, and find that it's more than heavy enough to make 30' pitches to laydowns with little effort. You're talking about a bait/weight combination that is approaching 3/8 oz. with most 7" worms.

Instead of going to a lighter powered blank, perhaps setting your reel up differently would help with your presentation? It's just a thought.

With that said, looking at the dimensions of the blanks may give you a hint as to how one blank may perform, versus the other.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: September 05, 2015 09:44AM

David, I think you may be misinterpreting what is meant here by "not loading well enough." I believe he means that the rod is too powerful for the light weight he is casting so he is looking for a less powerful option. He's casting, not pitching, I believe. Cameron, can you clarify?

Date: September 05, 2015 10:17AM

You can try a heaver weight on your rig Simple way add some split shot to see if that helps to load better

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 05, 2015 10:25AM

Cameron,

I would recommend you give Batson a call or send an email with your question. They are very helpful and can address your questions.

IMHO the Eternity 2 blanks are outstanding!

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Posted by: Cameron Johnson (---.sub-70-210-34.myvzw.com)
Date: September 05, 2015 11:46AM

Right, the medium is to stiff to cast well with that weight. All I really want to know is does the blank feel like it has enough back bone to pull a bass out of light to moderately heavy cover on 15lb fluoro?

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 05, 2015 08:38PM

[www.rainshadowrodblanks.com]

The blank is rated to 17 lb test and 5/8th lure. The tip is 5.5, so there is no reason why this blank would not really excel for what you want to do with it.

Be safe

Date: September 05, 2015 10:25PM

Awesome thanks!

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: September 06, 2015 10:22AM

You could also ask Batson about the 6 ft 8 inch version, same power rating as your 72M but with a slimmer tip that may mean a faster tip that will throw into your weight specs, and have the same butt power as your rod.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: September 07, 2015 09:41AM

I don't feel I misinterpreted the OP's meaning by my comments in my first post. Pitching is nothing more than a lower energy form of casting, and to do it well, requires a rod with a tip that will load with the amount of weight being used. I guess I just feel that if a blank will pitch the described bait/weight combination well, then it would most certainly cast that same combination just as well. At least my personal experience with the 72MH blank, would prove that to be true. The rod I mentioned casts the OP's described weight/bait combination, very well.

With that said, without any CCS numbers to back it up, my thinking on looking at blank dimensions to judge blank characteristics, mirrors that of Spencer's. Assuming all things equal, the smaller tip on the 68M should mean a more responsive tip, that will load more easily with lighter weights. And, assuming the blanks have a linear taper, the taper of the 68M and 72M blanks are virtually identical, so it should have the same power curve as the 72M blank.

On the other hand, while the 72M and 73ML blanks have the same diameter tip, the 73ML blank has a slower taper, and a difference in butt diameter of .070" or roughly 14% smaller than that of the 72M. I'd consider the preceding to mean that the 73ML blank will load more easily, but that it will have a noticeable difference in power.

Considering that OP will be using this rod to, "pull a bass out of light to moderately heavy cover" with 15# test line, the 68M may be a better choice. He'll lose a little in casting distance and long range hook setting ability with the shorter rod, but the additional power should be more than enough to make up for any loss related to rod length.

For me personally, and it may be considered old school thinking, but medium light power rods are best left to sparse cover, or open water.

Posted by: Ryan McBride (---.wavecable.com)
Date: September 18, 2015 11:21AM

We are just a phone call or email away! :) You just have to make the first move ;)

R. McBride

Batson Enterprises
BatsonEnterprises.com | RainShadowRodBlanks.com | ALPSForeCast.com | Build2Fish.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster