I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Question about Fenwick Aetos casting rod modifications
Posted by: Adam Lancia (---.cable.teksavvy.com)
Date: September 03, 2015 10:24PM

So, after doing a little reading and talking to a few anglers whose opinions and feedback I've come to trust, it seems as if I may have set myself up for some potential heartbreak by purchasing a pair of Aetos casting rods. Now I will say that they're super light and even the 7'6" MH balances a lot better than I expected it to, even with a light reel on it. I realy like how both the 7'6" and 7' MH's fish.

I have read a bit about the reel seat nut coming loose from the cork its glued to (the cork breaks away from the nut somehow in most instances) as well as the guides not always holding up very well since they're titanium rather than some of the harder materials. Obviously these instances are tough to gauge since it's hard to know exactly how a stranger treats their gear. However, since I'd like to hone my meager rod building skills, I thought it might be a good idea to gather a little info. I know there's a ton of info about stripping and rewrapping guides, I won't bother you with that. What I'm curious about is the reel seat nut: what are my options for replacing the stock one should that be necessary?

Worst case scenario, I'll strip the guides and rewrap them in a simple spiral, then change out the hook keeper and reel seat nut at the same time.

Thanks in advance!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Question about Fenwick Aetos casting rod modifications
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 04, 2015 07:59AM

Depends on what type reel seat in on that rod. Best bet, if you really like the rod, is to replace the reel seat, although that generally requires that you at least replace the rear grip as well.

Date: September 04, 2015 08:55AM

It's a Fuji skeleton seat Tom. Here's a link to their product page: [www.fenwickfishing.com] Are the threads pretty standard across Fuji's range? If so, I could probably just use a standard reel seat nut, correct? Loking at Fuji's website, it looks like they make that reel seat in a conventional no-foregrip locking nut: [anglersresource.net] The question is whether I could getd just the nut or if I'd have to purchase an entire reel seat assembly... The seat that my rods use is KSKTS (the first one listed on the Fuji product page).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2015 09:00AM by Adam Lancia.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 04, 2015 09:34AM

If it's a Fuji reelseat, I doubt the seat itself will give you any problem. But yes, the threads are standardized across the range. Any 16 will fit any 16.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 04, 2015 09:50AM

You can buy the reel seat nut at git-bit under fuji sk2 reel seats individual parts. The price listed is $2.29.

You can buy the reel seat nut at git-bit under fuji sk2 reel seats individual parts. The price listed is $2.29.

Date: September 04, 2015 09:54AM

Thanks guys! Looks like my project has a nicely defined path.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 06, 2015 11:24AM

Adam,
In the link, the rod looks like it is a very well made rod.

If the cork grip comes loose from the reel seat nut, the rod should be returned to the manufacturer for replacement.

If you decide to do it yourself, just slip the cork off of the nut, add a good coat of 5 minute epoxy and glue the cork back on the nut.

This style nut is used on many different rods with great success. If the cover over the nut comes loose, it is almost always caused by insufficient adhesive used to adhere the cover to the nut, whether it is cork, eva or some sort of plastic or nylon.

Be safe

Date: September 06, 2015 11:41AM

Hi Roger. From what I've seen, the cork breaks perpendicular to the blank right at the front edge of the nut leaving part of the cork attached to the nut and the rest of it unattached from the nut. I could glue the two pieces of cork back together, face to face, but I'm not sure how long that would hold up. Should it fail, I'm not sure that I'd want to have it replaced with the same style of nut.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 07, 2015 10:49AM

Adam,
Another simple option that is not as attractive, but will certainly work, is to simply remove all of the broken cork from the nut, and just wrap the nut with Black tape. The tape will cover the threads and you will be good to go.

It doesn't appear that there is anything wrong with the nut, only the front cover over the nut?

Be safe

Date: September 07, 2015 11:05AM

Roger, that's correct, the threads are fine when the cork breaks away from it. Maybe I'll find some narrow tennis handle wrap and use that if I run into the cork breaking situation. Thanks for the idea Roger.

Posted by: Ron Weber (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: September 07, 2015 05:01PM

Just get a piece of eva, ream to the correct size and length for the application, and you should be able to squeeze it to make it go over the guides if they are too tall, then just glue it on

Ron Weber

Date: September 07, 2015 05:16PM

Yanno know something Ron, that would probably be the cleanest looking solution, thanks!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster