I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Rainshadow XST1383F Guide and spacing recommendation for icy conditions
Posted by: Michael Cluchey (---.entouch.net)
Date: September 03, 2015 08:12PM

I have purchased a Rainshadow XST1383F blank to build a steelhead rod for my brother, he generally river fishes for late run steelhead in Michigan, which often includes icy conditions. I have built a few rods and experimented with different methods for guide spacing, including the Morton Micro Guide Graph. I am definitely a novice and this being my first steelhead rod I would appreciate guide and spacing comments on the suitability of this method as well as any other recommendations. This is my first post so if it needs tuning up I appreciate any help!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rainshadow XST1383F Guide and spacing recommendation for icy conditions
Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: September 03, 2015 09:25PM

I don't know much about guides but if it is ice on the ground / ROD you don't want small guides , go to rain shadow web site for spacing of the guides stay on the large size for the guides less freeze up for the large guides from what I have worked out here in Alaska you will still get some freeze up but it will effect the lime a lot less with the little larger guides
then normal size

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Jay McKnight (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: September 03, 2015 09:27PM

Excellent blank. Are you building a spinning, centerpin, or baitcasting rod? Batson has guide spacing charts for all three configurations, nothing set in stone, but they are a good starting point. No matter what brand or style guide you choose, don't go smaller than 7's, same with the tip. As much as I hate the look of them, Pac-Bay Minima's make sense for sub-zero weather.

Posted by: rick sodke (---.vc.shawcable.net)
Date: September 03, 2015 09:34PM

I have found that Minima's without the ceramic insert freeze up much worse than insert guides.
I use size 8 single foot guides on my rods that see winter steelhead duty.

Posted by: gabriele schieda (---.google.com)
Date: September 03, 2015 11:33PM

I always use Tysg 8s or Alps Tiy 8s. It will only get you a couple of more drifts.

Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: September 04, 2015 06:12AM

gabriele schieda Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I always use Tysg 8s or Alps Tiy 8s. It will only
> get you a couple of more drifts.

Yep then suck on them to remove the ice-fastest, Usually just the first 2 and start over again. Gotta Love it Jaa

Date: September 04, 2015 09:23AM

Spinning

Date: September 04, 2015 09:26AM

Thanks to all for the support, I appreciate all of your comments!

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 04, 2015 12:00PM

When building rods that are used in freezing weather I never go smaller than size 8 guides and in severe conditions, will not go smaller than size 10 guides. I do agree on the use of the minima or other inexpensive guides.

The guide spacing for a guide is really not dependent on the weather or temperature in which the rod is used. Use your favorite style guide spacing to insure that the loaded line follows the natural curve of the blank and you will be good to go.

By the way, here is a situation, where one might want to use a larger conventional guide wrapped onto the tip of the rod to act as a tip top to insure that the tip hole is large enough to prevent line jamming from ice.

Be safe

Date: September 04, 2015 01:52PM

Thanks again for your support and guidance!

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: September 05, 2015 12:27PM

As people stated in freezing weather go to the larger size not the smaller less trouble with '' ICE " the size you end up with is up to you but no "" MICRO's ""

William Sidney
AK

Date: September 05, 2015 01:10PM

Is it important to spine a two-piece blank, if so is it done in the same fashion as a one piece?

Thanks,
Mike

Date: September 05, 2015 07:59PM

Michael,
It is NOT important to spine any blank.

Date: September 05, 2015 09:47PM

Being a novice, I have read a great deal about this and am somewhat confused, from what I have read, it seems to be fairly evenly split on the importance.However I attended a beginner’s rod building class and the instructor, a 30 years plus rod builder, who does incredibly beautiful work, went to great lengths to demonstrate the proper technique for spinning a blank; although I have yet been able to find any technical data explaining the consequences for disregarding the spine.

Thanks Roger I really appreciate your time & advice,
Mike

Date: September 06, 2015 11:30AM

Michael,
The general feeling by most rod builders today is to disregard the spine of the blank.

Rather, just build on the straightest axis on the rod. i.e. just sight down the rod and align the reel and guides with the straightest portion of the blank. Many blanks will have a slight hook or bend somewhere in the blank which is perfectly acceptable. Just align the guides on the same axis as this hook or bend.

By the way, due to any slight hook or bend, it is quite often that the spine of the blank will also line up with the straightest axis as well.

The original thought about spining a blank was that if guides were aligned in a direction different from the spine of the rod, that this misdirection would cause a cast to be errant in direction. However, that theory seems to be largely unfounded.

Be safe

Date: September 06, 2015 11:59AM

Thanks again Roger, this makes sense and helps a great deal!

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: September 07, 2015 12:24PM

REC recoil NiTi wire guides are quite flexible and return to their original shape when bent. I believe you could bend Recoil guides to break off the ice more quickly and safely than you can melt the ice in your mouth. You risk contracting Giardiasis [beaver fever] if you put river ice in your mouth. Recoil guides are fly-rod guides, but your spinning line doesn't know it. The top guides always ice up first, so if you used Recoil lightweight guides for the top three guides and secured them with some stout Forhan wraps you might expedite ice removal.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: September 07, 2015 12:24PM

REC recoil NiTi wire guides are quite flexible and return to their original shape when bent. I believe you could bend Recoil guides to break off the ice more quickly and safely than you can melt the ice in your mouth. You risk contracting Giardiasis [beaver fever] if you put river ice in your mouth. Recoil guides are fly-rod guides, but your spinning line doesn't know it. The top guides always ice up first, so if you used Recoil lightweight guides for the top three guides and secured them with some stout Forhan wraps you might expedite ice removal.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 07, 2015 12:27PM

You could spray the guides and or rod with Pam That should help to keep ice off May tast better also LOL

Bill - willierods.com

Date: September 07, 2015 01:18PM

Thanks again for all of the help!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster