I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Tip is a fraction too small
Posted by: Marc Schwitters (---.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 03, 2015 03:47PM

I have a quick question.

I am in the process of building a Rainshadow Revelation 2 wt and I just realized that I dont have a tip quide with the correct ring size and blank diameter. Everything I have on hand is either too big or too small. I do have one tip that i can just get on (only about 1mm of the blank however). My question is do I risk serious damage if I sand the blank slightly so I can get it to fit? I usually sand the blank finish slightly to ensure a quality bond but in this case I would be taking the blank diameter down ever so slightly. I generally add a tiny bit of epoxy around the joint where the tip and blank meet so I would think that would protect the blank from damage if I only sand the tiny section that would be inside the tip itself but before I did something stupid I thought I would ask the experts.

Thanks,

Marc

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tip is a fraction too small
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.56.39.---)
Date: September 03, 2015 03:52PM

Check to see if there is a slight crimp at the end of the tube, remove it if there is, and try again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/03/2015 04:05PM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Eric MONTACLAIR (---.fbx.proxad.net)
Date: September 03, 2015 03:59PM

Start to strip the paint off (only where tube of tip top will cover) that should be enough.

Posted by: billy broderick (---.cmts.sth3.ptd.net)
Date: September 03, 2015 04:29PM

I agree with Eric. If that's not enough order the one that fits. Not worth the problems. I always order sizes up and down when ordering a particular job tip for a blank a customer wants. If it says 4.5 for the manufacturer tip size I order a 4,4.5,and 5. tube. I always need tip tops though for repairs etc. so they never seem to go to waste. I also leave them in the packages so as to id later. They are all put in numerical order in the tip case per my ocd. It should go all the way down the tube for a good strong bond.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 03, 2015 04:58PM

Just use a tip that is .5 larger than the current tip. You don't want to begin to compromise the strength of the tip of the rod.

Be safe

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 03, 2015 05:41PM

Don't sand the blank - the tip is the one area that can ill afford that sort of thing.

Try opening the tube a bit with a drill bit by hand. Scrape off any paint or finish on the blank tip. Beyond that not working, get a larger tiptop.

Date: September 04, 2015 01:31PM

Thanks for the feedback guys

Posted by: Garry Thornton (184.151.36.---)
Date: September 04, 2015 01:31PM

Go to the kitchen, borrow a fork...Fork tines are tapered and if you work slowly the slightly too small brass tube will stretch to fit.

Date: September 04, 2015 04:40PM

I tried that wil a nail thinking the same thing. Its a Fuji Titanum and was not easy to stretch however I will try the fork. Its also tiny (for a 2 wt) which makes it a little harder to work with.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: September 06, 2015 06:13PM

when I order blanks for a build I ask the jobber to test fit the tip to make sure it fits never had a problem they do it just to save the problem of not fitting , I am a small builder an don't keep a supply on hand so I need there help some times . there was a time that the jobber listed the incorrect size an they caught

William Sidney
AK

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster