I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

More and more bubbles
Posted by: mike langevin (---.static.optonline.net)
Date: September 03, 2015 12:51PM

I have recently been having a problem where I heat the finish over the butt wrap it breaks the bubbles up but more and more bubbles form. I then hit it with more heat to break up those bubbles and more come out again. I am using flex coat high build. Any ideas appreciated ready to start throwing things

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: More and more bubbles
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 03, 2015 12:55PM

You're boiling the finish, which creates more bubbles. Age old problem and predictable result - too much heat.

Posted by: Nate Nelson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 03, 2015 01:43PM

I'm glad you asked this question Mike, I've had the same issue a couple times. Looks like I need to get rid of the pencil torch and use a simple lighter.

Posted by: mike langevin (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 03, 2015 02:24PM

Ok Sounds like I'm boiling the finish then. Air bubbles are frustrating to say the least

Posted by: Mel Shimizu (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: September 03, 2015 02:32PM

Alcohol lamp is all that is needed and don't get anywhere near the finish. Just radiant heat from the lamp is all that is needed.

Posted by: billy broderick (---.cmts.sth3.ptd.net)
Date: September 03, 2015 02:49PM

The best way to get rid of bubbles........Not to have them in the first place! Mix SLOW or use a power mixer. Then apply with spatula or wet brush in separated epoxy before dipping in main batch which is warm and on aluminum foil. No bubbles to start no bubbles to heat or worry about.

Date: September 03, 2015 03:08PM

I had two power mixers both broke. I'll try again

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: September 03, 2015 04:09PM

You don't need to torch or use flame at all, a couple of goose neck lamps or a heat box and you don't need to put heat on the wraps themselves. Not one factory rod is made by using a torch, lighter, or alcohol lamp!! Just a warm place to rotate the rod while the finish cures.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 03, 2015 05:09PM

Mike,
A long time ago, I was using an alcohol burner to lightly heat the finish.

However, I ended up with the very same issue that you had. As a result of this problem, I put away the alcohol burner and have never used flame on finish again.

However, I do use a heat gun. I find that I can get the light heating that I need with sweeping passes of the heat gun and I have never had a repeat of the issue boiling finish.

But, as others have said over and over - minimize the generation of bubbles, apply finish when it is freshly mixed and able to easily flow,

I don't use a power mixer, simply because I don't care for the waste and the potential for poorly mixed finish on the edges of the mixing cup. Rather, I just use a craft stick slowly to mix the finish over the 2 minutes that I use to mix finish.

Since I apply the finish to a fast turning rod, I seldom spend more than two or three minutes to apply the finish and get it all on the rod.

Then, I go back and check every location where finish is located, and insure that it is in good shape and in proper condition. I will touch up any thin or thick spots and insure that all bubbles - if any have been removed. I do all of the inspections under intense light and high magnification. With the light and magnification - it is easy to detect the tiniest flaws and correct them.

Be safe

Posted by: Bruce Johnstone (---.cpe.cableone.net)
Date: September 03, 2015 06:19PM

All wraps and buttwraps particularly trap air. Put the first coat on thindon't mess with it just let it turn that will seal the wrap. The thin coat will let out any bubbles that form then put on a second coat. all you are doing when messing with the finish after you apply it is causing problems.

Posted by: Mark Blabaum (199.193.96.---)
Date: September 03, 2015 06:27PM

Randolph Ruwe Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You don't need to torch or use flame at all, a
> couple of goose neck lamps or a heat box and you
> don't need to put heat on the wraps themselves.
> Not one factory rod is made by using a torch,
> lighter, or alcohol lamp!! Just a warm place to
> rotate the rod while the finish cures.

Actually, St Croix does use a torch to bust bubbles. It's just a quick pass and they are done, they don't linger on any epoxy, just a quick pass. They also leave the epoxy sit for a minute or two for the chemical reaction to take place, pour it out on a plate and then apply.

Date: September 04, 2015 11:17AM

I think I am also mixing too much finish at once. I am usually mixing 10cc of each and coating three rods at a time.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 04, 2015 12:04PM

If you are mixing that much finish, the finish is bound to be pretty thick by the time that you get to the 3rd rod and may not easily thin without the application of heat and potentially overheat and boil the finish.

Rather, mix by hand slowly, just enough finish to finish 1 rod or if you work slowly 1/2 a rod. I suspect that you will largely eliminate your issues by going to the much smaller batch of finish. I try to make a point that from the time that I start mixing, I mix for 2 minutes or 120 seconds and I like to have all of the rod coated and drying at the end of the 5th minute, or a total of 3 minutes from start to finish on coating the guides and wraps. By maintaining this time, the finish is just starting to "kick" when I go to the slow drying speed.

Be safe

Date: September 04, 2015 02:23PM

Thanks Roger and everyone lot of good ideas here. I am going to start using smaller batches of epoxy and do one small batch per Rod. I will use a light coat at first to press air out of wraps then recoat 2 more times when dry.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 04, 2015 03:51PM

Several things I see here
First do one rod at a time Mix another cup for another rod Don't be cheap
A faster RPM will help get the thread covered faster And No it will not fly all over 50 - 80 RPMs I like
If you are not using CP on regular nylon then I guess you think it leaves the guide weak -- It Does Not It helps to keep color and fills the thread where there is NO air to cause bubbles I will either use CP on even NCP thread and matallics --- or very thin finish to get rid of air
If you like the Transparent look -- Highly Recamented to go to a light finish Stays wet longer - fills the thread so no air A good thing ! Less bubbles
If you place is hot 80 - 90 cool it off The finish will stay wet longer and release bubbles should they come up Drys with a Chemicul reaction There is nothing to Evaporate in it Very hot not required Heat does help - but not when applying it -- After it is on and levelIf possible no heat If the finish looks like it will become a FootBall Stop the turner then with your brush take any drips off Do a 180 several times then ( if you can ) start the dryer slow Mine turns at 55 rpm Everone is different
When I heat I use a hair dryer -- Start OFF THE ROD - let any dust come out of the dryer - then aim at the rod

There is also a way to take bubbles out of clear with a straw You blow thought it ( don't spit on the clear ) and you hot breath soffens it and helps it to flow -- Hay it works Got it from this site !!!

You are going to have to play and find the way that works for you with what you have

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2015 06:07PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Bruce Tomaselli (---.altnpa.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 05, 2015 10:14AM

What Bill said. I use the straw method and it works great for releasing bubbles. When I began building, and I'm by no means a a professional, I made the usual mistakes. Don't try to use your finish too long. If it isn't running freely, mix another batch. Another thing I learned is that if you're using an alcohol lamp or whatever, make sure you don't cook the finish.

Date: September 06, 2015 11:03AM

I will use cp from time to time and I really don't think it makes the guide wrap weak. I think if I combine all these practices I should greatly eliminate the bubbles. I am cheap! Sorry this stuff is expensive. However I see that I am costing myself more in the long run.

Date: September 06, 2015 11:42AM

Ha! I just watched a bunch of videos on the web of how people coat their rods. Yes indeed they are- 1) mixing less finish 2) applying it to Rod much faster than I do 3) dont use as much heat. I will recap for both my benefit and someone else with a similar problem.It seems that the viscosity of the epoxy has much to do about the ability to release trapped air. So the thinner it is the easier it is for it to release air bubbles. Heat will thin the epoxy but with varying results the more it is heated- boiling or burning finish off if too much is applyed. The reason I was overheating was to try to thin already curing finish and catastrophe was result. There I feel better
Btw I noticed my color preserved rods do look better with less bubbles

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster