I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fast action Fly Rods
Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.direcway.com)
Date: September 02, 2015 01:17PM

I am planning to build a fly rod for an old friend. I have narrowed the choices down to a Pac Bay Quickline, Batson Eternity 2, and Batson Revelation. I have built on the Pac Bay Quickline and really liked the feel of the rod. I recognize that the term feel is an ephemeral one but I know it when I cast the rod. I have looked up the specs (Butt diameters, Tip Top diameters, weight, and stated action ) for each of these blanks. None of this data is sufficient for me to determine which blank I should use for my friend. I have the eternity2, blank but haven't built on it yet. I have the specs my friend would like for a custom rod. What I would like to know is if any of you have built on Revelation and/or Eternity2 blanks? Since these three blanks all have almost identical specs, and are all rated fast action,are they all equally fast action or is there a significant difference among the three? Thank you for any help you can offer.
Mike Blomme

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fast action Fly Rods
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 02, 2015 01:21PM

Michael,
Fast is a relative term - that will be similar between manufacturers and various blanks in a line. But, generally the taper on different models and brands of "fast" action rods is seldom exactly the same.

So, to be sure that you are getting what you want, it is better to touch, feel and flex the actual blank on which you wish to build.

Be safe

Posted by: Linda Vance (---.wf.mt.gov)
Date: September 02, 2015 01:31PM

I built a 7'9" 4wt Revelation for myself last year. I didn't like it at first, but when I put a Rio LT Trout fly line on it, everything changed. Prior to the line change, I would have said I loved playing fish on it, but not casting it. Now, with a line that loads it better (and faster), the rod has become my go-to rod for small rivers and fish in the 12-18 inch class. The lightness and response is a delight and the precision is amazing. I can cast across the river and drop a dry on the edge of a log so that it falls off right where I want it to. I do find that with the fast action, I have to be on my game with the hook set when I'm nymphing, because the fast action means the fish doesn't hook itself. But I'd certainly build on this blank again, and would recommend it to others, with the caveat that you have to pair it with the right line.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 02, 2015 01:37PM

Have you tried going a line weight higher It may just be what it needs

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Terje Bendiksby (---.89-10-248.nextgentel.com)
Date: September 02, 2015 01:43PM

What weight are you building? Eternity2 are really good blanks. The six weight is really sweet. I have tried five,six and seven weight and they are all nice. they are fast but not extremely fast. I think they hold their aftm class well, but one like gpx seems yo be the best, but they are able to handle lower weight or heavier fly lines. I think they are the best among the blanks you have mentioned, but none the others are bad choices.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 02, 2015 02:08PM

If you employ the CCS AA number, you'll have more than enough resolution to determine which of the three is the fastest action.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: September 02, 2015 03:42PM

The difference between a fast action 3wt and a fast action 7wt. blank of different makes can be considerable. The difference in action between a 7wt. and a 9wt. TFO blank is remarkable. Practical form follows function. Will this rod be used to cast #22 midges 35' or to cast 2/0 streamers 85' in the wind?

Posted by: rick sodke (---.pmc-sierra.bc.ca)
Date: September 03, 2015 02:15PM

I find that two rods with identical CCS AA numbers will "feel" completely different. I use the CCS CCF number to give me a really good indication of if I will like the "feel" with a given line weight.
Unfortunately, CCF is less reported than ERN and AA.

An example is my build of a Mudhole MHx 10' 4wt measures at CCF=80 with a 4wt lineThis is too responsive (i.e. feels fast) for my slower casting style.
Using a 5wt line it measures 76, which is perfect for me. It also helps that it has an ERN of 5.55 so it has enough power to throw a 5wt.

I have not measured the blanks you list.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 03, 2015 02:28PM

Identical AA and ERN figures are no guarantee of similar "feel" in a rod and this has been thoroughly covered in the CCS articles we've done. Two rods made from different materials but with similar ERN abd AA figures will indeed possess the same power and action, but not necessarily the same speed. And speed is a major, if not the major player in how a rod "feels."

It is the CCF, as Rick mentions, that you need to work with if you're looking for rods with similar feel, reaction, recovery, etc.

Posted by: Eric MONTACLAIR (---.fbx.proxad.net)
Date: September 03, 2015 03:55PM

I second Tom CCF is a major data, maybe the most important data.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster