I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod Finish Issue
Posted by: Scott Strength (---.genesco.com)
Date: September 02, 2015 10:21AM

Having a finish issue on my most recent build. I have been applying multiple thin coats of finish to get my end results. Using ProKote. On the last and final coat I applied as usual. I cleaned my mixing cup with denatured alcohol and mixed as usual. Equal proportions of both. The issue is that after I applied the last coat I rechecked everything and all looked good. I let dry overnight. When I came to check the next morning the finish had separated from the previous coat and fish eyed real bad. Is this because the previous coat had cured too long and the new finish wouldn't adhere to it? It wasn't even 24hrs between coats, but it was in a moderately warm environment. Thanks for any advice.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Finish Issue
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 02, 2015 10:27AM

Possibly. Once epoxy cures to a certain extent you're applying the next actual coat onto a surface that will tend to repel anything placed upon it. If the temperature was warm enough, then the cure time was accelerated to the point that this happened in only 24 hours.

There is another possibility, however, and this concerns wiping the inside of your mixing cup with alcohol. This is never a good idea as many solvents contain fragrances and the like that can contaminate an epoxy or similar finish. If you feel the need to do that, always rinse the cup with water afterwards. Better yet, use plastic mixing cups and supply a fresh one each time out.

Date: September 02, 2015 10:40AM

Thanks Tom. I've never heard of Denatured alcohol having fragrances in it. Not saying that it doesn't, but it sure doesn't smell like it. I see people on here all the time talking about wiping down the previous coat of finish after drying to remove any oils from your fingers that may have gotten on there. Wouldn't this cause the same issue? I also see people that have thinned their finish with denatured alcohol. Wouldn't that cause an issue as well? Sorry for the questions, but I'm fairly new at it, and am trying to get the root of the problem. If applying multiple coats would it be better to lightly scuff the previous application with sandpaper before applying the next coat? Thanks again.

Date: September 02, 2015 10:52AM

People write and do all sorts of stuff and often get away with it. The fact is, any good chemist will tell you that a solvent wipe should never be the last step in any surface preparation technique. Be sure to read the surface preparation article in the online library here.

The best way to keep finger and hand oils off your wraps is not to get any on there to begin with. There is never any need to handle the thread with your fingers once the wrap has been made. And if your hands and fingers are washed and cleaned, some light handling isn't going to harm anything. I think sometimes that in their efforts to "clean" things, builders often introduce more problems than what they were trying to correct.

I don't think you need to go so far as to sand anything between coats/applications. Generally you can allow a couple or even three days between applications and still expect good results if applying more epoxy after that much time. Scouring a previous application of epoxy, with fine grey Scotchbrite, is really only recommended if some time has passed between applications, say more than a week or so.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 02, 2015 11:34AM

x1000 on never using any solvent on a finish before adding another coat.

Also, never use solvent to clean out a mixing cup. Use a new plastic cup. Too many issues with a solvent causing a problem on an ensuing coat.

Be safe

Date: September 02, 2015 11:39AM

Lesson learned......The hard way.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.atos.net)
Date: September 02, 2015 01:17PM

I never mix any type of epoxy in any kind of plastic container, I use aluminum cans-cups or foil. Certain types of plastics can interact with the epoxy and contaminate the epoxy. If bonding grips and reel seats, this contamination may not be detrimental, if it is used in a finish application the contamination may cause noticeable cosmetic effects. If you must use plastic mixing cups make absolutely sure that the plastic cup will not interact with the epoxy used.

John

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 02, 2015 01:19PM

I use the plastic sample cups that are commonly used in Grocery stores and Delis. Very inexpensive and have never had any issues.

Be safe

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.opera-mini.net)
Date: September 02, 2015 01:30PM

I buy my plastic cups from a local food distributor. I've never had a problem with them. 200 small cups @ $5.00

Date: September 02, 2015 01:33PM

I was using the small medicine cups and didn't have any issues the first 2 coats and did the same thing on those 2 coats with no issues. I'm just thinking the finish had set too much and was too smooth for the other coat to adhere to. Is this possible?

Posted by: brian rossi (---.mycingular.net)
Date: September 02, 2015 01:45PM

I have had the same problem before and I believe it was because I had touched some of the wraps in between coats of epoxy. Not positive that was the reason but that might be something to look out for. Aside from making sure I don't touch anything I started doing the coats as close together as possible while the previous application is still a little tacky.

Date: September 02, 2015 05:10PM

If the finish has cured to a certain point, it will indeed attempt to repel further applications. I would need to see a photo to determine if you're dealing with contamination or simple repelling of a subsequent epoxy application. They are quite different in appearance.

Date: September 03, 2015 10:05AM

Thanks Tom. I'll try and send you a photo soon. Getting ready to head to The Henry's Fork in Idaho this weekend. May have to send it when I return. Thanks again!

Posted by: gabriele schieda (---.google.com)
Date: September 03, 2015 11:56AM

I use prokote all the time, you have to wait 24 hours before you put the next finish. You may have not let it cure enough.

Posted by: Scott Strength (---.sub-70-197-169.myvzw.com)
Date: September 03, 2015 01:07PM

Gabriele, why do you have to wait 24 hours? I waited 21, and I was in a warm environment? Just curious.

Date: September 03, 2015 04:42PM

I always follow the manufactured recommendations, the instructions say recoat after 24 hrs.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 03, 2015 07:41PM

A lot of times that does not work
You have to Experiment and find how you can alter and make things -- BETTER

Bill - willierods.com

Date: September 03, 2015 08:00PM

Just saying cause I use prokote and its amazing stuff. Wish it would cure a bit quicker.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster