I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

quick finish
Posted by: Bill Cohen (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: September 02, 2015 07:51AM

Have a rush job need flex coat (one coat) a 2 guides and have it ready by tomorrow. If I flexcoat the guides then apply heat till the outer part is dry to touch will the rod be ready to fish by tomorrow?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: quick finish
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 02, 2015 07:54AM

Don't over do the heat, but yes, you need to keep it in a very warm place during the curing cycle. An increase of 20F from about room temperature (70F) will halve the cure time. It could be hard enough to use 24 hours later.

Posted by: Bill Falconer (207.203.39.---)
Date: September 02, 2015 11:31AM

Bill, I routinely do the Freeze Frame finishing method for repairs and get a great looking finish in one heavy coat. It is not completely advisable (read counter to the manufacturer's recommendations) to fish the next day, but I have done it several times with no problems.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 02, 2015 11:31AM

Bill,
Actually this is the standard that I use on all of the rods that I build.

I use 1+ coat of high build flex coat and generally ship the rods the next day.

I put the flex coat in the microwave before using for 5-10 seconds. This will warm the finish to about 80 degrees or so. It also insures that there are no crystals in the finish.

I apply the finish, insure that the finish is correct, let dry for about 10 minutes and if there are any thin spots, I will touch it up as needed and insure that it levels with the addition of a bit of heat with a heat gun and when perfect just let it dry.

Normally it is no longer tacky in about 4 hours and can generally ship the next morning with no issues.

Be safe

Posted by: Chester Kiekhafer (107.77.87.---)
Date: September 02, 2015 03:39PM

Roger, when giving this advice can you also include what your room temperature is? I know that in my situation I have a fairly cool basement and my finish is still tacky in the morning when I apply it the evening before.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 02, 2015 04:26PM

Chester,
Since I have a closed up room with room heat, as well as booster heaters when needed, I use the additional space heater to warm the room to 80-90 degrees and shut the door. I leave the space heater turned on with its thermostat so that the heater maintains the temperature.

I do agree with you, that if I let the room remain at a cool 60-65 degrees, that the finish will still be a bit soft in the morning.

I do suggest that if you can not heat your entire space where the rod is drying, I would then suggest that you make a box out of cardboard, foam, or other material to put over your rod or into when drying the rod, so that you can maintain a heat that is in the 80+ temperature. I just get a much better job if I maintain the higher temperature during drying times.

p.s.

If you need a box on the cheap, go to an appliance store that sells refrigerator. Pick up the cardboard that is used to form their boxes, and or old refrigerator boxes. Then, use a box cutter to make a box that will enclose your drying rod. Inexpensive and easy to do.

Be safe

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 02, 2015 05:41PM

I think some of you should check how your finish is measured and mixed
I like cooler temps And I thin my finish - ( Don't Over thin ) If hot in the summer I put the air on If hot cause the landlord has the heat up and it is 90 in the winter I open the front door to cool the room off
In any case I have always found the finish sets in At Least 5 - 6 hours Even when put on at say 11:00 - 1:00 and hard the next day

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: David Sytsma (---.dhcp.klmz.mi.charter.com)
Date: September 02, 2015 10:41PM

Chester,
I agree with Roger. My shop is below ground off the end of my basement, and it can be cool. I use an electric space heater to (1) heat my Flex Coat high build to ~80-90 degrees and (2) keep the temp up when I've got rods on the dryer. Usual room temp is 65 degrees, but it will get to around 75 when I've been in there for a couple of hours because of the heat the shop lights add, and when I'm satisfied with the finish I'll run it up to 86-90 and shut the door. Put the finish on in the late afternoon on the last build, and it was hard as a rock by noon the next day.

Posted by: Bill Cohen (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: September 04, 2015 11:42AM

My concern was that the outer shell would be dry but the inner coatings might still be "soft" Subjecting a rod to next day casting could be harmful.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 04, 2015 11:54AM

Epoxy doesn't "dry," it cures. So there is no chance of any portion of it being softer or less set than another portion.

Posted by: Chester Kiekhafer (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: September 04, 2015 12:45PM

I agree with what others have said. My concern was that if someone is suggestion to do something a certain way or that a certain way works for them. Then someone tries it don't get the same results if might be that they weren't told the "whole" story about the technique. Like in this situation about getting a rock hard finish in 6 hours if they mix their epoxy correctly might not be the "hold" story. Having both an elevated temperature and having a properly mixed epoxy was the way to get hard.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster